Led question

I have cheap 165w Chinese LEDs and I was wondering would these grow sps in a 150g 30in deep tank? I was planing if not upgrading to different lights maybe the ocean revives t247? I don't plan to spend more than 400$ for 2 lights. Does anyone recommend any lights that bring out great color and grow corals? I could add these 2 Chinese LEDs to what you guys recommend. Please let me know thank you!

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
They will grow any corals but you will need a third one for better coverage

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Do you want to stick to LED's?

I had the Ocean Revive T247 for a little while on a frag tank I was setting up. I liked the light, thought it was really strong. It felt really well made.

I have the same tank, 150 that is 30" tall and I added 2 T5's that seem to do a nice job of balancing the lights. I run the T5's for 6 hours a day, should extend their lifespan a bit.

TheRealChrisBrown;639354 said:
Do you want to stick to LED's?

I had the Ocean Revive T247 for a little while on a frag tank I was setting up. I liked the light, thought it was really strong. It felt really well made.

I have the same tank, 150 that is 30" tall and I added 2 T5's that seem to do a nice job of balancing the lights. I run the T5's for 6 hours a day, should extend their lifespan a bit.
Yea I was planing on sticking with LEDs since I heard t5 get really hot and you have to change the bulbs like every 6 months, but did the ocean revive make the corals pop? Did it grow them well? Would you say there worth the money?

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
mabaeza15;n639366 said:
I might buy to ocean revives and add all 4 LEDs if they fit. Do you think that would work fine?
Yes that would work just fine but don't go more than 10" from the water line for better light penetration

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
mabaeza15;n639367 said:
Yea I was planing on sticking with LEDs since I heard t5 get really hot and you have to change the bulbs like every 6 months, but did the ocean revive make the corals pop? Did it grow them well? Would you say there worth the money?

I like that the Ocean Revive had the timer built in, and it had a remote....but once everything is set that remote becomes an easy thing to lose. I never made it to the point of actually adding corals under it, I didn't like the maintenance of an additional tank.....so I sold it pretty quickly. I think for the money it was a good light, but I probably only had it for 30 days before I sold it.

I run 2 LED's and 2 T5 bulbs and I like the combo a lot.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would be concerned with the chinese LED's on a deep tank. Usually there are no len's on the LED which means your light is spread out over 180 degree arc instead of something more focused. This results in a lot of lost light.

TheRealChrisBrown;639380 said:
I like that the Ocean Revive had the timer built in, and it had a remote....but once everything is set that remote becomes an easy thing to lose. I never made it to the point of actually adding corals under it, I didn't like the maintenance of an additional tank.....so I sold it pretty quickly. I think for the money it was a good light, but I probably only had it for 30 days before I sold it.

I run 2 LED's and 2 T5 bulbs and I like the combo a lot.
I saw a 300g with a setup like that and the corals and clams looked amazing! Thank you for the feedback

that0neguy1126;639435 said:
I would be concerned with the chinese LED's on a deep tank. Usually there are no len's on the LED which means your light is spread out over 180 degree arc instead of something more focused. This results in a lot of lost light.
Yea I kind of noticed that!! I just ordered 75lbs of Rock to get everything higher to maybe help with that, but I watched a lot of videos of cheap LEDs and the ocean revive grows the best sps. Also focuses the light more but usually the cameras never really pick up the colors so I'm not sure if it will make the corals pop! I was just seeing if anyone would recommend a certain light or something.

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
that0neguy1126;n639435 said:
They do come with len's and there is plenty of people growing sps in deep tanks

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Reefer Matt had a beautiful colorful reef that was 30" deep with those lights. The trick is to keep the water perimeters stable and don't mess with the light settings all the time, that pisses corals off. Are other lighting options better? IMHO yes bit do they work? Absolutely

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;n639483 said:
Reefer Matt had a beautiful colorful reef that was 30" deep with those lights. The trick is to keep the water perimeters stable and don't mess with the light settings all the time, that ****es corals off. Are other lighting options better? IMHO yes bit do they work? Absolutely
+1

Dr.HarlemTutu;639483 said:
Reefer Matt had a beautiful colorful reef that was 30" deep with those lights. The trick is to keep the water perimeters stable and don't mess with the light settings all the time, that pisses corals off. Are other lighting options better? IMHO yes bit do they work? Absolutely
Thank you that actually makes me feel a lot better! The sps and all the other corals seam to like them so if they like them I like them!