LEDs from Catfish Charlie's

robert.talarico

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I purchased 2 small led fixtures from them last week. I was trying to retro fit 2 on the tank. I asked Ron if I could return the second one if I didn't need/use it. He assured me I could return it "no problem". Feeling secure about his response I purchased both. Yesterday I had to return it for store credit only. If I would've known about this policy or been informed about it while I was purchasing it I would've bought only 1 fixture at a time. To me it seemed like he would've said anything to make the sale. Catfish has no selection of corals and I don't keep fish so I had to purchase dry goods with my store credit. I didn't really need 59$ worth of frag plugs and filter media. So for anyone buying stuff here make sure it's exactly what you want or you'll be stuck with 100 frag plugs instead of getting your money back. It was a little frustrating.

robert.talarico

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
PlumCrazy;236885 said:
did you ask what kind of credit you would receive? cash back, store or back on a card?
I inquired about the return policy and he said I could bring it back, "no problem". If the return policy is store credit only then he should've said so.

robert.talarico

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
PlumCrazy;236889 said:
eh, im saying i have to drive about an hour to get to his store, i would be rather upset, but i know that if i returned it and he only gave me 59 bucks store credit, as useless as that is for you with corals only, you could get snails/shrimp/crabs if needed, and worst case we all need salt. $39 for 200g isnt a bad deal...

im not siding with him, normally SW stores don't post any return policy for reasons that people can twist words or assume it means livestock as well. so therefore when you asked he probably SHOULD have said he'd do store credit/cash back.
I don't need any cuc. I would've bought salt if he had some in stock. I could've got water if he had RO instead of just filtered. I looked all over the store. There was nothing of use to me. I paid cash for the fixture that he said I could return, I should've got cash back

Last edited by a moderator:
robert.talarico;236884 said:
I purchased 2 small led fixtures from them last week. I was trying to retro fit 2 on the tank. I asked Ron if I could return the second one if I didn't need/use it. He assured me I could return it "no problem". Feeling secure about his response I purchased both. Yesterday I had to return it for store credit only. If I would've known about this policy or been informed about it while I was purchasing it I would've bought only 1 fixture at a time. To me it seemed like he would've said anything to make the sale. Catfish has no selection of corals and I don't keep fish so I had to purchase dry goods with my store credit. I didn't really need 59$ worth of frag plugs and filter media. So for anyone buying stuff here make sure it's exactly what you want or you'll be stuck with 100 frag plugs instead of getting your money back. It was a little frustrating.
WOW Robert let's tell the TRUTH of what actually happen! Yes I did tell you "no problem" and I DID TELL YOU that we do "store credit" or what ever works best for you, but call me. We have signs posted around the shop that say "All Refunds for store credit only!" BUT you showed up Monday morning unannounced to my shop before we had even opened! I hadnot even arrived at the shop yet and my mother was nice enough to let you in and handled your issue the best way she was able to! NO employee (ONLY ME) is authorized to give cash refunds, not even my mother! Besides she did not have enough cash on hand to do so if she could!!! You were leaving as I pulled into the parking lot (10 minutes before we opened) and I talked with you. You told me that you expected a cash refund and was only given store credit. I told you than "if you'd only called me and made arrangements that could have been done, but you didn't do so and this time of the morning if arrangements aren't made we ussually do not have enough cash on hand in the mornings to do a cash refund!"

Also you can use the store credit ANYTIME you'd like on anything you want!! You DON"T have to use it immediately!!! We do carry corals (we'll be increasing our selection soon!) and would have even special ordered anything you'd like!

Also Robert I've been in this business for 30 years. You DON'T do business as "to say anything to make a sale" and keep the same customers for 30 years!!!

robert.talarico

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Catfish Charlie;236953 said:
WOW Robert let's tell the TRUTH of what actually happen! Yes I did tell you "no problem" and I DID TELL YOU that we do "store credit" or what ever works best for you, but call me. We have signs posted around the shop that say "All Refunds for store credit only!" BUT you showed up Monday morning unannounced to my shop before we had even opened! I hadnot even arrived at the shop yet and my mother was nice enough to let you in and handled your issue the best way she was able to! NO employee (ONLY ME) is authorized to give cash refunds, not even my mother! Besides she did not have enough cash on hand to do so if she could!!! You were leaving as I pulled into the parking lot (10 minutes before we opened) and I talked with you. You told me that you expected a cash refund and was only given store credit. I told you than "if you'd only called me and made arrangements that could have been done, but you didn't do so and this time of the morning if arrangements aren't made we ussually do not have enough cash on hand in the mornings to do a cash refund!"

Also you can use the store credit ANYTIME you'd like on anything you want!! You DON"T have to use it immediately!!! We do carry corals (we'll be increasing our selection soon!) and would have even special ordered anything you'd like!

Also Robert I've been in this business for 30 years. You DON'T do business as "to say anything to make a sale" and keep the same customers for 30 years!!!
You never mentioned anything about store credit or needing to call you when I returned it, for me that would've been a red flag. Yes I did show up before you opened in which I was prepared to wait. Your mother, who is a very nice lady, saw me waiting out there and offered to help me prior to opening. Which she didn't have to. She mentioned that store credit was your return policy so I looked around the store. Then as I was leaving you showed up. I approached you in hopes of getting my cash back. That's when you said I should've called first. If I would've known that I needed to call I would've done so before I drove down there, but like I said it was NOT mentioned when I was making the purchase. I didn't post this to argue. I posted it to share my frustration when I shopped at your store. Is this thread not meant for "vendor experiences"? Your store credit policy should've been mentioned when I asked about returns before my purchase. Like I said if I would've known that I wouldn't have bought the second fixture and I would've called first IF you had actually told me like you claim you did.

robert.talarico;237063 said:
You never mentioned anything about store credit or needing to call you when I returned it, for me that would've been a red flag. Yes I did show up before you opened in which I was prepared to wait. Your mother, who is a very nice lady, saw me waiting out there and offered to help me prior to opening. Which she didn't have to. She mentioned that store credit was your return policy so I looked around the store. Then as I was leaving you showed up. I approached you in hopes of getting my cash back. That's when you said I should've called first. If I would've known that I needed to call I would've done so before I drove down there, but like I said it was NOT mentioned when I was making the purchase. I didn't post this to argue. I posted it to share my frustration when I shopped at your store. Is this thread not meant for "vendor experiences"? Your store credit policy should've been mentioned when I asked about returns before my purchase. Like I said if I would've known that I wouldn't have bought the second fixture and I would've called first IF you had actually told me like you claim you did.
First Robert, but I did mention "store credit" and "call me first" if that wouldn't work for you! Robert it was very busy and confusing when you were in my shop while I was talking with you about the LED light fixtures. There was about THREE people trying to get my attention including you all at the same time! I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you may not have heard me, but I do know that I mentioned it!

Second the reason for "store credit" is we don't keep a lot of cash on hand for safety purposes. I was robbed by two people several years ago with a gun stuck in my back! That was NOT a pleasant experience that I do my best not to ever have that happen again. And 95% of our business is usually with credit cards or debt cards, so many time we don't have much cash on hand! Again you came in Monday morning unannounced before the shop was open! Most shops in today's world, don't keep much cash on hand and especially first thing in the morning! The reason I was late coming in, I was just coming back from the bank after making a "cash deposit"! I really did have NO CASH ON ME or IN THE SHOP! Again a simple call first would have solved ALL of the problems and I could have made arrangements with you! BUT you choose to discredit my shop and me on a forum that I help sponsor!

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Re: LEDs from Catfish Charlie's

As has been stated before, all feedbacks will only be displaying affiliated parties input and parties with like experiences with same vendor. All non-involved comments will be removed.

If you have input that is not related to same transaction or topic involving said individuals, please feel free to create your own thread.

Thank you for understanding and feel free to PM me with any questions.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for posting the feedback Robert and responding Charlie. I wish this could of been solved better (and probably still could be made right).

Also, like Chad mentioned, the feedback forum is here to provide feedback! It is not to jump on and bash or flame on anyone.

Regardless of the feedback, good or bad, it is useful for people like me. I do a lot of research on places before I buy stuff. I find it very interesting to see how different vendors deal with issues like these. It really sets apart stores who put the customers first when you see threads like these and the vendor makes it right. I have never been the catfish charlies so I don't have any direct experience. However you can see when you do have issues how it will be handled.

But looks like it did hurt chads feeling so he deleted our posts. I do business with Ron every week and I never had any problem. So if one guy had an issue with a vendor I don't think it's ok to bash him publicly. since he posted it publicly, i think we can give our opinion too. how come it's NOT ok for us to defend a vendor that pays money for this board????

Huskyguy;237235 said:
But looks like it did hurt chads feeling so he deleted our posts. I do business with Ron every week and I never had any problem. So if one guy had an issue with a vendor I don't think it's ok to bash him publicly. since he posted it publicly, i think we can give our opinion too. how come it's NOT ok for us to defend a vendor that pays money for this board????
+1
Seems one sided otherwise.....

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Re: LEDs from Catfish Charlie's

Huskyguy;237235 said:
No feelings hurt on my side and I have no side, thoughts or opinions on the scenario as it is not my place to express thought because I was not there. As stated in my previous post, which has been posted before and will continue to remain policy: Only parties posts whom were involved in the transaction or have had a like experience will be displayed. This is out of courtesy and respect for both parties so that the accurate, actual events, and thoughts of both parties can be expressed with out the influence or convolution of non affiliated parties. Again, anytime you have a positive experience and or any feedback pertaining to your own personal experiences please feel free to create your own threads voicing your own thoughts and opinions.

Please PM if you have any further questions.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Huskyguy;237235 said:
Thats great. you can post your own feedback about the experiences you have had.

However, this person did not have a good experiance their. He is not bashing him in any such way. He has explained his side of the story and the experiance he had. That is exactly what this forum is for. Just because a this vendor happens to be a sponsor, we do not sugar coat their feedback forum. It is open for anyone to post (good or bad) their experience. The only time we step in is when people do start bashing, flaming, or in general not being constructive to the thread and the feedback.