Light Comparison

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Really interested in some pics. I would probably have to void my warranty right away and redo a few things. Like put all the exotic colors on their own dimmer. Keeps pushing me back to DIY. Next time I'm up that way I'll hit you up for a little light tour.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
reefmaster719;193282 said:
Might fry your corals. Try it tho.
They are dimmable, which means he can dial in just the amount of light needed for what he wants to grow.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Nice, you got two of the eBay $190 ones, not the CFSCO.net ones right?

Luke.Fraizer

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah they are. And honestly they are about 100x better than the MH's I had. The bad thing is that my camera is not doing them justice at all! All I have is a crappy camera phone.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Ok one strange thing, on their eBay ad for the pair, the ratios are 1:1 (28 white / 27 blue) LED's. Wonder why they're different than the single model.

I'm practically sold, considering the price & features. Wish you were closer to Denver. I'd like to see them live before jumping on one. Still looking at some others in the same price-range, for my 29g.

Luke.Fraizer

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would say do it. Totally worth it. I just would like to figure out which reef controller will be able to control them since they have a variable resistor to dim them. That is the next big thing for me. Or some sweet Zoas. Maybe both, but probably just the Zoas. You should just come on up and look at them. Totally worth the drive. Or just take my word and buy them and save yourself some money on the drive up.

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
We may pay you a visit if you don't mind.. I know a guy that has 4 frag tanks full of corals in Denver and when I come up from the springs I can also stop by my "wholeselling zoa vendor"
-->shhh lol.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Just an FYI, Springs to Ft.Collins is a looooooooong drive, lol. Yeah I'm down for a group buy, but don't know if there are enough people to buy 10 locally. Throw up a thread to gauge interest. I'm down for one at least, possibly two. Pending research on the controlling ability from Apex/RK/RA...

I emailed the seller (AJMaquatics), and they said it would be no problem switching LED colors around custom too. No charge, but UV's are a tad more expensive, so if you want to add UV LED's, add +$3 each to replace a blue or white. Would a few more of those help show off certain types of corals with more flourescing colors?

(LED n0ob that hasn't read much about full-spectrum colors yet...)

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Decided I'm going with the ai sols. The reviews are looking sweet and I'm a control freak lol. So its perfect for me.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
reefmaster719;193398 said:
Decided I'm going with the ai sols. The reviews are looking sweet and I'm a control freak lol. So its perfect for me.
Not trying to be cheap, just that $800/pair doesn't appeal to me.

Bad news about controllability (without doing some hacker customization, heh):

As for controllers go. Our lights are not compatible. Most are not either. We currently used resistance dimming where as most controllers require 0-10v or pwm dimming.

- ajmaquatics
That's not a deal-breaker though, gonna see what else out there, can't beat the price. Much rather do these, than some cheapie AquaTraders/Odyssea 2w lamers in that price-range. If ya want cloud-cover, storms, etc. control, than maybe a kit route is the way to go. Or maybe I'll sell my Orpheks and buy a high-qual setup that does everything.