Lighting intensity question

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I started running new Chinese Blackbox leds a couple weeks ago. They are programmable with 24 setpoints that control white/ blue/royal blue. Anyone have suggestions on how intense or what percentage is ideal on these lights? Currently, I ramp them up to 50% blue with 25% white for 6 hours at the peak.

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not sure of your tank size or depth (mine is 18 inch depth) with the lights 10" above water., but I dropped mine to 30% blue and 5% white during the cycle and coral acclimation. Now have them at 40% and 8% with corals looking like they don't want anymore. I have the 120 watt black box.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have two of the 165w (55 x 3w) units over a 55 gallon. Right now they are hanging 7 inches above the water.

cremer9

Butterfly Fish
mine is a 50 watt at full brightness about 10 inches over a 12gallon nano tank as i started cranking it up started getting some algae now its getting better if i stay on top of my maintenace

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was starting to see some algae with the new leds. I have turned them down to 40% blue 10% white at the peak. Everything looks good with just the blues on, but some of the corals (mostly zoas and other softies) seemed to dislike the white light. I am considering raising the lights up a bit too. Maybe up to 10 inches or so.