Liquid Kingdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Had not seen this LFS mentioned anywhere and thought it would be good to add. They are at 6470 W 120th Ave in Broomfield and have been around a long time. Wish they were a sponsor and have discussed as much, but this is an "old school" family owned store and really our favorite as they have given us so much time and info and they know our tank pretty well. They will not sell things that should not be in our tank or and I love that kind of integrity - some places are okay with selling anything to anyone. At this store they have a huge fan base rather than customers and they hold fish quite often to make sure they are well acclimated before letting people take them home.
They have an awesome huge Moorish Idol in back and they really know how to grow fish and corals. They have few frags, but do frag shows with some of the MASC people [ mind blowing corals I think]. So once a month or so they have frags and good prices on them.

Tom and Deb have really helped us when we were just starting out and always are happy to do water tests and know what they are selling.
Much like About Fish the store is not for someone looking for pristine tanks, nice air conditioning and background music. Truly though, they are good at what they do and their tanks show it in terms of things grown with the least invasive means from humans. Again there is merit in spending in Colorado and helping our economy and I would hate it if someday stores like these were gone and online was the only means of getting livestock.

Oh, they are closed on Tues. and Wed. [the days that something will happen in our tank of course] but worth taking a look at if you are ever in the north area.

Last edited by a moderator:

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
IM glad youve had good experiences here, Mine have not been the same.

1. Ive been treated very rudely numorus times by the older guy (im assuming this is Tom), on multiple occasions I was made to feel as if my questions for pricing were taking time out of his day and I was just a hinderince.

2. I dont like flipping through a book trying to find prices, Ive worked in many fish shops, fisrt time Ive seen this method for pricing

3. Was sold a completley dead bottle of pods, when I brought it back (within 2 hours of purchase) I was told it was something I did

4. Overall maintence of the shop is horrible, I dont want to smell fish when I walk into a fish store, thats not a good sign, tanks are full of hair algea, one big tank in the back has the worst looking blue tang Ive ever seen, and he never looks any better.

Call me picky, call me an ***, but this is my experience with Liquid Kingdom and I had to share it. I will soetimes go see my friends at MBC when they are doing shows there, becuase like you I want to support local businesses, but theres an extent to that. I will not sacrifice quality and service to shop locally, and it sucks cause I can walk to liquid kingdom from my house.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReefCheif;313899 said:
IM glad youve had good experiences here, Mine have not been the same.

1. Ive been treated very rudely numorus times by the older guy (im assuming this is Tom), on multiple occasions I was made to feel as if my questions for pricing were taking time out of his day and I was just a hinderince.

2. I dont like flipping through a book trying to find prices, Ive worked in many fish shops, fisrt time Ive seen this method for pricing

3. Was sold a completley dead bottle of pods, when I brought it back (within 2 hours of purchase) I was told it was something I did

4. Overall maintence of the shop is horrible, I dont want to smell fish when I walk into a fish store, thats not a good sign, tanks are full of hair algea, one big tank in the back has the worst looking blue tang Ive ever seen, and he never looks any better.

Call me picky, call me an ***, but this is my experience with Liquid Kingdom and I had to share it. I will soetimes go see my friends at MBC when they are doing shows there, becuase like you I want to support local businesses, but theres an extent to that. I will not sacrifice quality and service to shop locally, and it sucks cause I can walk to liquid kingdom from my house.
I had a similar set of experiences when I was very new to the hobby with this store. I drove over there every week for a month with a water sample to try and get approval of buying a fish from them (and it's a trek from Brighton) and finally I had my water quality to own a fish, and the guy literally told me he didn't have time to sell me a fish. luckily his daughter helped me pick out a fish, but it died on the way home. needless to say I haven't ventured back in

Tom has a vast knowledge when it comes to saltwater. He will never sell a sick fish or any fish that he has not quarantined for at least 2 weeks. Some of the LFS might have all the fancy equipment that wow us all, but some of them will sell you anything you want anytime you want it whether it's sick or has just arrived, Tom has in many occasions refused to sell people fish and make the profit right there and then because he was not sure that the fish had spent enough time in quarantine. And I like the fact that he has a note on his counter stating the price might change depending on the customers attitude. I've been dealing with Tom since I got in the hobby four years ago and have not had any issues ever. Tom and his children and always willing to help with any issues I may have and I consider him a great reference. Having said that, we should all remember that we are all human and have our bad days people lose loved ones and still go to work, maybe that day was one of those days.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have only been into liquid kingdom once, but the experience was fairly good. Tom was very friendly and gave me a lot of good advice on how to prevent the carpenter wrasse I was getting from becoming an escape artist. He knew everything about every fish he had in the store. When he got it, how it acts around the other fish, what quarantine measures he took, etc, etc. Honestly if he just cleaned the tanks more often and put prices on the glass like other fish stores, this would be a phenominal store. He even refused to sell one of my friends a juvenile emporer because his tank wasnt big enough. Not to mention that the fish rental program is pretty awesome. 10 bucks to add a damsels to your tank while it cycles and when you are ready for real fish he will take it back, give you 5 dollars, and put the damsel in quarantine.

zombie;313906 said:
I have only been into liquid kingdom once, but the experience was fairly good. Tom was very friendly and gave me a lot of good advice on how to prevent the carpenter wrasse I was getting from becoming an escape artist. He knew everything about every fish he had in the store. When he got it, how it acts around the other fish, what quarantine measures he took, etc, etc. Honestly if he just cleaned the tanks more often and put prices on the glass like other fish stores, this would be a phenominal store. He even refused to sell one of my friends a juvenile emporer because his tank wasnt big enough. Not to mention that the fish rental program is pretty awesome. 10 bucks to add a damsels to your tank while it cycles and when you are ready for real fish he will take it back, give you 5 dollars, and put the damsel in quarantine.
I've been in the fish business since 1983, both retail and wholesale. I've known Tom (really great guy) and his wife (recently passed) since they bought the shop as competition and customers (they bought fish from me). I've heard the good, the bad and the ugly about all LFS including myself! Give Tom credit for sustaining his business for many years, I myself couldn't do this because of health! If you don't like a shop.... than don't shop there, if you do than support them! I love the "rental program" though! That's a GREAT move as a business since most Damsels only cost $1.25 wholesale! ;)

I have had nothing but great experiences at liquid kingdom!out of all the fish stores and vendors I have been too, I always seem to have good experiences. their is one store in particular(not gonna say name) that if certain people are working I always feel like I am inconveniencing them, but for the most part I still get okay service there. When other people are working it is good service just like everywhere else.

JNG

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
My experience with Liquid Kingdom over the years has not been favorable either. I always try to give the benefit of doubt to any store, but things never seem to change. Tanks loaded with flat worms or aptasia and very rude service. The last time me and my girls stopped by, not once did Tom even look up from watching tv/reading (not sure) the whole time or say a word. I remember many years ago, that was a shop worth traveling to along with Charlie's.

Everyone has their own opinions and experiences so I can't speak to that but personally I have been treated very well by Tom and his daughter every time I've shopped there. They do get busy on weekends and you have to be patient but any time I have had to bring back a fish for being a less than model citizen in my tank, I've been credited. Tom goes out of his way to share his knowledge with me and my kids, and I've purchased many fish and corals from him over the years without losing one. Again, we all have our own personal experiences so I'm not saying yours didn't happen. I have frequented the fancier sites and been ignored or not even asked about my own setup which should be a key question. I feel like family when I walk in and other stores I many times feel like don't give the personal service.

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Huskyguy;314009 said:
Then you are ignorant piece of ****ing ****. I have an accent and my race is not important, I have never ever been treated any different by them. They respect me for who I am and not to my race factor, religion or skin color. But you just showed us your true color and maybe that's why they don't treat you with respect when you go there.
Well, alrighty then. Did not mean to upset anyone by their memory of experience at this store. I too am Latino and have been known to say something in Spanish there so that kind of comment does not "hold water" [sorry]- I know that that Tom has said there was a time he was very mean and maybe bitter as that store was his wifes and I know everywhere he looks are reminders of her. Deb has been working at tank clean up and we see changes every time we go in. So we all don't love the same stores and that is okay. I just felt they deserved to be mentioned. We go to stores from there to as far south as Aquamart - good and not so good all over.

So, husky guy, good greef, and other LK patrons, hope to see you there. Thanks for all the good you had to say about Tom. I would love to see them get energized and clean out the back and create a fine frag room and put more prices on tanks, but there are what they are just like us.

Back to finding ways to improve our tanks right? Peace out.

Haulin, are you not reading the posts?

It's not about if you like or dislike a store or how you would rate it. It's about a person thinking that RACE is the reason why they weren't treated properly when there is NO reason to state that in a forum like this when there is NO facts about that. The race card gets played enough, to have people just throw it out there like that for no real reason is sad.

State what you want about your experience with a business I don't care but to falsely play the race card is WRONG!

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow calling me a pos hope your at Junes meeting husky and we can handle this!! My experience w them was yrs ago before u even knew what reefing so w that said if your gonna call names Better be REaDY to back them up!! Hey like I said I delt w the old lady who is not here anymore!

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I like Tacos;314014 said:
Haulin, are you not reading the posts?

It's not about if you like or dislike a store or how you would rate it. It's about a person thinking that RACE is the reason why they weren't treated properly when there is NO reason to state that in a forum like this when there is NO facts about that. The race card gets played enough, to have people just throw it out there like that for no real reason is sad.

State what you want about your experience with a business I don't care but to falsely play the race card is WRONG!
if you'll kindly notice I made no mention of race, mine or otherwise. I kept on the topic of "experiences at Liquid Kingdom" and defended my experiences. I made no such comment about anything racial, and would appreciate it if you kept me out of any racial discussions, because I feel they have no place on this forum.

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haddonisreef;314017 said:
Wow calling me a pos hope your at Junes meeting husky and we can handle this!! My experience w them was yrs ago before u even knew what reefing so w that said if your gonna call names Better be REaDY to back them up!! Hey like I said I delt w the old lady who is not here anymore!
YO Haddon. I started this thread and am ending it. Like my mom used to say - Enough is Enough. Please stop now. I could always bring my nephew to the June meeting....his name is Phil Heath [Mr. Olympia]. Pretty sure he could keep the peace.

Truly people - please don't post anything else on this thread. Geez - PM me and threaten me if it helps you feel better. Just keep this about fish and fish stores, that is what it is for, verdad? [true]

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was only stating my experience then the names started being called which is uncalled for! If people have problem pm me Bring your nephew I'd like his auto graph!! :)

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ThatsDeep!;314020 said:
YO Haddon. I started this thread and am ending it. Like my mom used to say - Enough is Enough. Please stop now. I could always bring my nephew to the June meeting....his name is Phil Heath [Mr. Olympia]. Pretty sure he could keep the peace.

Truly people - please don't post anything else on this thread. Geez - PM me and threaten me if it helps you feel better. Just keep this about fish and fish stores, that is what it is for, verdad? [true]
Again, please let this thread die. Please don't post anything. I am new here and never meant to start something that went this direction. Don't want anymore of this.

The ******* end.

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haddonisreef;314021 said:
I was only stating my experience then the names started being called which is uncalled for! If people have problem pm me Bring your nephew I'd like his auto graph!! :)
Again, please let this thread die. Now.

It's like debating with a ten year old on here.

Haulin not sure what your panties are in a uproar about. The only issue I have had with this entire thread is Haddon stating that he might have been treated bad because he is Hispanic.....that's it. Give a good review, give a bad review, I don't care.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ThatsDeep!;314020 said:
I would strongly urge you guys to edit your posts. as a former board member, I can tell you that making threats and things of that nature can't be ignored and will likely lead to a ban. I would hate to see anyone get kicked off the forum. many of you have been here a long time and I value the information you bring to this club

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haddonisreef;314021 said:
Seriously wtf. This is not acceptable behavior on this forum. Dont pull the race card when it isnt justified, and dont make threats. If you didnt like the store, dont shop there. If you want to say you had a bad experience somewhere say what was bad about at and leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.