Longfin Fairy Wrasse vs The Inverts...a 3 round battle

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a 3" longfin fairy wrasse in my tank that seems to have an appetite for inverts. I know with fish that tend to be aggressive towards inverts, it sometimes helps to add the fish to the tank after inverts...but I wasn't expecting this fairy wrasse to be an issue, so I didn't follow that process.

Round 1
I added a skunk cleaner shrimp about a month ago. He chased the shrimp for maybe 20 minutes, then left him alone. I figured it was just a territorial thing that he eventually "got over", but it seems that he just eventually figured out the shrimp was too big for his mouth. They don't pay much attention to each other anymore...aside from when the shrimp tries to clean the wrasse and he swims away. If the shrimp grabs a chunk of food that the wrasse wants, he tends to try to approach the shrimp...but only rarely steals the food as the shrimp will hide in a corner and bat the wrasse away with his feelers.

Round 2
About 2 weeks ago I added an emerald crab. I know they hide well, but I haven't seen him since Day 3. I spotted what I'm pretty sure was a molt in the tank earlier this week (hollow shell with no tissue), and assume the crab molted and is in hiding somewhere in the cave. I know inverts tend to hide for some time before and after molting...and am pretty sure that the crab wasn't eaten since it's legs and claws probably would've been torn off if he was attacked...and that molt was mostly in tact.

Round 3
Tuesday I added a peppermint shrimp to the tank. He acclimated well, I introduced him, and the wrasse chased him into the cave. The shrimp hid and the wrasse went back to his own business. Wednesday I checked for the shrimp, didn't see him, and fed the tank. I walked away to feed my other tank, came back, and saw the wrasse picking the peppermint shrimp to pieces...the other fish smell it in the water and made quick work of what was left. My best guess is that the shrimp came out of hiding to get some food, and the wrasse decided to make the shrimp his main course. There's no way that the shrimp was already dead and the wrasse decided to start eating him...the current wouldn't have carried the carcass where it was...I'm certain he was attacked by the fairy wrasse as he was the only fish around it for a couple moments before my chalk basslet and canary wrasse decided to join in on the buffet.

My main reason for adding the peppermint shrimp is that I wanted to see if they'd wipe out the few aptasia anemones I recently spotted in the tank. That peppermint was at least 2" long...so I don't think I'll be trying them again. Berghia nudibranches are probably out due to the yellow wrasse, and I'd rather not try a filefish due to all the lps and softies in the tank.

So...is it time to get rid of the fish if I wanna try peppermint shrimp again? I currently feed the tank once a day, and the fish seem healthy. My canary was a little skinny when I took him home, and he's fattened up nicely...same with my diamond watchman goby. That fairy wrasse eats like a pig, right out of my hand. Is it possible that he's not getting enough food and turning to the inverts? I'm wondering if more frequent feedings would help, or is this just now ingrained in his head that shrimp are on the menu...

If I DO decide to trade him in, is there any chance that I'd have more luck with another sp. of fairy wrasse? Most of what I've read online doesn't label them as invert killers...but I'm done assuming on that topic.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yep, my wrasse and trigger make short work of almost every shrimp and crab I put in the tank!! Even hermits get torn up every once in a while. Currently one (of 4) emerald still surviving in my tank, no shrimp, and only really small hermits left.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Blazinjack;162827 said:
Yep, my wrasse and trigger make short work of almost every shrimp and crab I put in the tank!! Even hermits get torn up every once in a while. Currently one (of 4) emerald still surviving in my tank, no shrimp, and only really small hermits left.
What type of wrasse do you have?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Blazinjack;162935 said:
Lunare wrasse. His name is wrasputen!!
Ha! Good thing I didn't come up with a clever name like that...or I'd feel bad about letting him go.

I added some emeralds again today, 2 hid and 1 has been out in the open grazing on algae...so I'm pretty sure the other one had just molted. Still want some peppermints though, so I'll be trading him in and trying to figure out a replacement.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well...the 3 newest emeralds are accounted for after spending 24hrs in the tank with wrasse. He tried going after them in the bag for a good 5 minutes...I hid them in the cave and they made it. The largest emerald is the only one that ventured out until after I removed the wrasse...so I think he was guilty as charged.

At least he was easy to catch...swam right into the bag with a piece of shrimp inside.

Elite took great care of me...thanks again.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
scchase;163327 said:
Dang Ive been wanting a longfin fairy wrasse
I talked to numerous people about the issues I had with mine...he seemed to be the exception to the rule as far as eating inverts. Very beautiful fish, and it was a bummer letting him go...I think it'd be worth trying one out.

Mine was a full grown adult and generally just an aggressive eater...although he didn't really pester other fish in the tank, at feeding time he would chase my goby into his hole in the sandbed, hover there, and flare up to keep the goby at bay and hog all the food.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cherub;163553 said:
lol and I thought I was clever when I named my wrasse that... later name changed to hawrasse since he was a jerk
LOL you guys are great. Hoping my newest addition doesn't need a clever name...so far he gets along with everyone and has even let my skunk cleaner do his job.

View attachment 6695

Lubbock's fairy...his colors are SWEET.