Looking for thoughts/advice

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
My angler tank in the basement became overrun with aiptasia, I recently pulled all the rock and even the sand out because the aiptasia was prevalent on the sand bed as well...and they were really tiny ones. Anyway, Edwardo the Angler fish does not seem to like the bare bottom tank. He is fine living with it, but it seems that the bottom panel of glass creates a reflection of the feeder fish and he doesn't know which one to strike at. Yesterday I saw him whiff on 2 attempts, and I've never seen him miss once in the past. The angle of his head also makes it appear as though he is staring at the bottom glass pane and not the live fish.

I want to put something in there for a few weeks until I make sure the aiptasia is gone, maybe permanently if it work well. It looks like a QT setup right now with some 3 in PVC tubes that he actually likes to hang out in. I could go with a really thin layer of sand for the bottom, but I was wondering if there was another solution? Any ideas? Ideally I'd like something I could take out and clean as needed, then put back in.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You could tape some black construction paper to the bottom side and sprinkle a little bit of clean sand and that should get rid of most of the reflections.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you do the acrylic idea it would stay on the bottom if put your rocks on it.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Irishman;n677331 said:
If you do the acrylic idea it would stay on the bottom if put your rocks on it.
Right now all I have is the PVC pipes in there, they won't hold anything down. I think it's the right idea, just need to perfect the implementation

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think a sheet of egg crate on the bottom might do the trick. I'm pretty sure the egg crate doesn't float.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just tested out a piece of egg crate in my tank. It sinks. I have a piece big enough for the foot print of Edwardo's tank. You can have it if you want it.

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
haha I love Eduardo's happy face