Losing Zoas, looking for advise/help

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
So recently i lost one frag of zoas and thought it was just a fluke and didn't do anything about it. Now another frag is starting to look pretty bad. Lost a few polyps completely and some are not opening up any more. Not sure what’s going on with them. I tried a freshwater dip (RO) and it seemed like it helped somewhat at first but the problem is still there. I have a ton of those Asterina Starfish in my tank and starting to think that those may be causing the problem. From what I’ve read Asterina Starfish normally would eat dead/dying corals so potentially it’s not the issue here... Anyone has any experience with zoa problems? I would really appreciate some advice on this. Would really hate to lose all my zoas, especially some sweet ones that I picked up from Mike’s fire sale last nigh. Thanks

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Smiley;222600 said:
dip them in BA and also check your alkalinity.
I think my ALK is pretty high, it was slightly above 12 last time I checked it a ew days ago. What is BA?

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
only zoas i had problems with high alk (12+) were darth mauls and the tubbs blues. Might be the case with yours. I would say dip them in peroxide (1:1) for 5 minutes... not sure you need to use bayer advanced just yet.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Alright, i'll dip them in peroxide when i get home. Will see if that does the trick.

Losing Zoas, looking for advise/help

I know for a fact I had astria starfish eating healthy zoas, not all of them but some would, it was a few years ago and I can't remember which ones but if you pick them off and look at the bottom side of them there are two different colored starfish. This was just my personal experience and yours may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dipping them will stress them even more. I'd do that if I knew there were something specific to cure. If it's the start fish, and I doubt it is, wouldn't it just be easier to take the out with a tooth pick?

Alk is one of the most important parameters not to let jump around. 12 is really high when it should be 8. SPS dominated tanks target 11. I'd suspect that's the issue first before dipping. Just my opinion obviously. What's your Mag, Calc, PO4, and NO4 at?

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
CindyL;222639 said:
nudibranchs? possibly a fish that's developed a taste for zoas?
I have a blue powder tang that LOVES to eat zoa's - FYI.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
DyM;222640 said:
Dipping them will stress them even more. I'd do that if I knew there were something specific to cure. If it's the start fish, and I doubt it is, wouldn't it just be easier to take the out with a tooth pick?

Alk is one of the most important parameters not to let jump around. 12 is really high when it should be 8. SPS dominated tanks target 11. I'd suspect that's the issue first before dipping. Just my opinion obviously. What's your Mag, Calc, PO4, and NO4 at?
I know for fact that my PO4 was high too, it was higher than .62. I am trying to take care of it with GFO reactor and a GFO HC media, it is now around .4, still ways go. My Calc was around 510 last time i checked, nitrates tesed at 20ppm. Mag was 1480 which is high as well i think.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
CindyL;222639 said:
nudibranchs? possibly a fish that's developed a taste for zoas?
I thought nudibranchs but haven't seen any yet. Didn't see any of the fish nipping at the zoas as well. They night be sneaking behind my back though...

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
How many dif zoas you have in your tank? Is the ailment occurring with all of them? Might just be nature :p

For instance I prob have over a 100 frag/colonies of zoas and every once in a while a whole colony will either close up and melt away, close never to open again, invert and look like they are turning inside out and some that just shrivel up and look PO'd. Mean while all of the rest of the zoas are fine.

As others suggested maybe get all your params in line and balanced. With stability being the key not nec the number first IMO.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
reeftankulous;222646 said:
I thought nudibranchs but haven't seen any yet. Didn't see any of the fish nipping at the zoas as well. They night be sneaking behind my back though...
I had an aptasia eating filefish take out ALL of my zoas while I was dinking with water chemistry trying to figure out what the heck was going on. I didn't catch him until I saw him start on my purple death palys. Netted him and took him to an LFS that same day. Then I got some replacement colonies, and one of those had nudi eggs on it that I missed. Those hatched, and I dipped in bayer bug juice every 3 days for a couple of weeks. No more nudis have shown up since. So far, all zoas look healthy again.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
CRW Reef;222648 said:
How many dif zoas you have in your tank? Is the ailment occurring with all of them? Might just be nature :p

For instance I prob have over a 100 frag/colonies of zoas and every once in a while a whole colony will either close up and melt away, close never to open again, invert and look like they are turning inside out and some that just shrivel up and look PO'd. Mean while all of the rest of the zoas are fine.

As others suggested maybe get all your params in line and balanced. With stability being the key not nec the number first IMO.
It's only one frag that's not doing good. I have about 15 frags/mini colonies total

I started loosing zoas off my big 1k+ colonies. All parameters were good except for Phos. Not something I ever tested for but now that I am running GFO, things look better.

Hi before I give you advice I would like to say I'm a newbie. I had the same problem as you I had one zoa frag completely devoured in one nite. I went through a bunch of recommendations and I tried this I feed on a regular basis to keep the chopper full mean while I kept my eye out for this animal I eventually came to a resolution when I saw a shrimp and a anonymous crab start chomping down. So all u need to do is water change feed and watch.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
?