Lost another one

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So this morning I was leaving for work and peaked in the 40 breeder QT. Glad I did. My Tibican was dead on the bottom of the tank. Not sure how long he'd been there either. Pulled him out and tested ammonia. It's reading 0.

This is the second fish I've lost in this QT tank. First was the Saddleback Butterfly.

I'm going to do a 15-20g water change tonight in prep for me going out of town tomorrow. What else do you guys think I should check?

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
This a brand new tank that only you know what has been put in to it? What are you running in your HOB filter? Have you been changing water frequently?

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
5 gallon water changes weekly, even when no ammonia is showing on my Salifert test.

Brand new tank purchased from Petco.

Just funning the carbon filters in the hob. Have a few pieces of live rock in there as well.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Been running salinity about 1.021 or so. Didn't want to go too low as I didn't know how the butterfly would react to it.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nope. Both the saddleback and the dwarf angel looked fine hours before I foundthem dead. Even dead the color was a little faded, but they still looked fine.

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea that a bummer idk... maybe we a fish killer on our hands.... lol there sure has been a bunch of unexplained deaths round here boys.

Did u drain the whole tank and scrub down after the butterfly?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
No, didn't have anywhere to put the tang or the dwarf. Should I do that tonight maybe? What should I scrub it down with?

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Idk for sure but i would, u can put the other two fish in a 5 gallon bucket and then re acclimate them but i would resist any urge to put any old water back in. Keep in mind those angles will dye from any trace copper so if u do decide to run copper keep him separated. I would clean with a light solution of viniger and water then rinse will. Run the HOB and other equipment under scolding water.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
In the 40 breeder I have a 5-6" Bristletooth tang, a 3" butterfly, 1.5" wrasse and 1" basslet. The others are in the BC for now.

I'll try to tear it down tonight. Really need to get the DT fully plumbed though. Maybe that won't take me too long since I know how I'm going to do it now. Once it's fully plumbed I'm going to dump in the Dr. Tim's One & Only. Though I did email them and they said that I need a fish or two in there to really get it cycled properly. Do you guys think maybe the wrasse and basslet would be good candidates for this?

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes, have 4 smaller pieces of rock that I pulled from my Biocube that's been up for a year.

Have an airstone in there and lots of surface agitation. Oxygen shouldn't be an issue.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yep. Couple pieces of PVC pipe, elbows, that are in there. 2 3" pieces and 2 1.5" pieces.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Me too. Anybody have any thoughts on the Dr. Tim's stuff?

With losing so many fish in QT, I'm really anxious to get the DT up and running so I can have more rock and skimmer going to help keep things more stable.