macro algae grow tanks

I have 5 20 gallon tanks hooked to my sump that I am going to grow various macro algae in to help filter and feed my DT. Im hoping it will also be a spawning place for ceo and amphiopods. Im trying to find cheap yet efficent lighting for these tanks. I plan on growing ulva, chaetomorpha, red gracilaria, red bush algae, and maybe grape calpera. I only have 6 inches or so of free space above each tank for lighting needs. Anyone know of a good cheap (maby ebal china style) light that would work good for this. Or is it better to use t5s.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
What about some led strip lighting. Surely you can find some pretty cheep that'll work from eBay or Amazon? Most of those are water resistant too.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just use a compact fluorescent bulb with a metal reflector. I am growing red dragon, dragons breath, dragons tongue, and chaeto. Everything grows really well and I have the same bulb I started with about 2 years ago.

I thought about using those but don't have the room above the tank. And Imaybe trying to avoid putting them in the front. I'm a little ocd. Lol. We're did you get the dragon algae from. I've never heard of it. Dose it grow well enough to harvest for fish?

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got all of my algae from SethSolomon. The dragons breath grows slower than the rest but all grow pretty well. I harvest 3/4 of everything once per month. It fills sump up completely. Not sure if fish eat any of it as I don't ha e any tangs or other algae eating fish.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well I am glad someone is stepping in to fill the void I left when I moved out here to DC. :) As for lights, the best would be 2 t5's per tank, 1 6500k and 1 10000k bulb. But if you are set on going LED, by far the best for growing macro algae is the Finnex Planted + 24/7. This light is about 1 inch thick. I am using this on my sump right now and it's pretty awesome. Not $30 each cheap but defenetly cheaper than the radium x15 planted. Link

As for growing algae for fish food, I found that red gracilaria is the best for fish food. Ulva is best for culturing pods on but it will go sexual and show up in your display. Caulerpa is not palatable by pretty much any fish but it is a good nutrient exporter. Caulerpa needs to be on a strict 18 on 6 off lighting schedule so it does not go sexual. Chaeto is a good all arround nutrient exporter as well. Not much value for resell but grows quick enough to just toss out in the compost pile or give away.

But those 2 needs only will take up 2 or maybe 3 tanks tops, with the other tanks you can focus on the more decorative algae species. These can help supplement the cost of the hobby as they are in regular demand. See the macroalgae section of the forums to find the list of venders that you can get algaes from. But for dragon's breath and dragon's tongue cultures, hit up Shawnv. Most people don't know the difference between all the dragon's algaes but he has them for sure. And some of the algaes, plan on paying a good amount for the cultures as the rare ones are in high demand. I had to pay $50 for my nemastoma culture just so I could get some.

Thanks sethsolomon. So here's the t5 fixture I've been looking at. It has 1 10000k and one actinic 460nm lamps. Do you think I should switch out the actinic for the 6500k? If the Ulva goes sexual and ends up in my display tank won't the tangs and other fish eat it and keep it under control or is it better to have this on a separate system then the main tank? I was looking at the ornamental algae on eBay there's some pretty cool ones. Have you bought any from there or should I stick to the bi'g stores and other reefers?
Includes 1x 10000K and 1x Actinic 460nm lamps

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The main thing with ulva is it will grow everywhere, sump, inside corals, in your filter socks, on your pumps, and really anywhere. So IMO I would not ever put it in a tank. Stick to gracilaria for tang food. Its nutritionally better anyways. As for those t5's, the ballasts are pretty finicky on Oddyssea equipment. I personally would not use them. I would go DIY retrofit over those.

Some ebay sellers are good and some are trash. I would stick to the venders I posted in the macroalgae forums and people on R2R and Nano-reefs.