Macro Reef Photo Journey

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well I got my DSLR in so I misewell figure out how to use the thing. I hope to watch the quality of photos progress as the time passes in this thread.

Camera: Canon T3i

Day 1

very nice Kris! +1 looks like you got the lighting and macro figured out.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks guys. Still a lot to learn. I have never owned let alone used a "professional" camera. Always been point and shoot for me. I really want to learn depth of field ins and outs. I really like the "3d" effect this gives to photos.

If any of you have any pointers please tell me!

One thing I noticed while shooting last night is I need my focus ring to go left more!!!!!

The above photos were just taken with the standard lens, no macro, yet. I do have a cheapy macro lens that came with the kit however it didn't work out too well shooting my tank. outdoor shots it did good though. I think my next purchase will be extension tubes. The tripod did good last night so I dont think I will need to invest in a monopod.

I was actually quite surprised that I was able to take photos under actinic lighting only. With my point and shoot it would just wash out and everything would be blue. With the DSLR I was able to take photos without much tweaking. The last 2 photos were taken with blue/royal blue at full blast and whites at about 5-10%. They where shot as my sunset was in progress. All photos shot under LED only.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
since you have a tripod.
Take a picture of the same coral without moving the tripod changing the F-stop with each shot.
That will allow you to see how the F-stop affects the shot as to the depth of field :)
Are you saving your shots in RAW format or JPEG? I like taking them in RAW and then adjusting the photo with photoshop.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Will do Gale, thanks.

I take the pictures RAW+Jpeg.

I thought it would be the bees knees taking photos from my computer through live view but not so much. I seem to get the best photos through the viewfinder.

Sorry for being such a noob but I do have a noob question. When I zoom into something and I cant bring it into focus, what is the limitation there and how can I overcome it? I understand that I can move the camera back or zoom out but I want that close up shot. Is it a lens limitation? Brent is probably rolling over laughing at me right now!!!

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Most likely you are too close to the subject. Each lens has a minimum focusing distance which is the distance from the sensor to the object.
This is the reason for macro lenses. You can get extremely close to the object and still focus.

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would never do that!! ROFL!

+1 on what Gale said. Look for a cheap used canon 50 macro. On your rebel it should do almost life size. Like maybe 1:.8 life-size. It's a great way to get a cheap but very good macro lens to play with until you have the funds for a 100macro. It really is a great lens, especially for the price.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=170682258330

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Or I think there are places where you can rent a 100mm macro to check it out :D
I'd like to try them out to see if the price difference between the 100mm macro and the 100mm "L" macro is worth it.

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've bought the 50 macro for $150 or less before. Doesn't the 100L macro have IS? The only macro I own is the 180L Macro. I actually only have 4 lenses. The 45TS, 90TS, 85L, and the 180L Macro. I use to have a lot, a whole cabinet full. Then I really looked at what I used and sold the rest.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You talking about this bad boy Brent:
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-180mm-A...UTF8&coliid=IYIWJIN7O6XKX&colid=1I4PVJ0MY9KP6

That is a SEXY lens. Do you think I will be happy with the 100L or would I eventually outgrow, become unhappy with it? My theory is to get the best right off the bat to save money in the long run. I dont want to keep upgrading and upgrading, that costs more. I could probably save up enough dough to buy the 180 in a few months without ****ing off the misses.

Tell you what, I am hooked, photography is a lot of fun and this will become my second hobby.

Edit: Ok found this;
If you are looking for a great general purpose lens that also does 1:1 macro, consider the much less expensive Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens. It focuses much faster, has similar image sharpness and comes in a better portrait and general use focal length. The 100mm macro is handholdable at lower shutter speeds than the 180 (about 1 stop lower at comparable apertures) when flash is not used as the main light. It offers excellent optical performance and middle of the road focal length, working distance and size/weight. The 100mm macro is bargain-priced while the 180 L is priced in the serious-photographer-only range. The 100mm focal length makes a decent medium-to-tight portrait lens as well.
Source:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-180mm-f-3.5-L-USM-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Minimum focus distance is close to 2 feet. So it allows some distance between me and the subject. With liquid, it helps to be not so close.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
close focus range on the 1200 is 46 feet.....LOL
and it weighs 36 pounds. That thing is a weapon hehe.
only $90,000 .....

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok the reflection off of the glass when taking pictures SUCKS!!!
I do have a UV filter on, but all its doing is protecting the lens, which is good, but its time to get rid of the glare.

Of course I always look at the best first and work my way down if needs be.
This one here is supposed to be awesome, is it work $92?
http://www.amazon.com/58mm-Circular...TF8&coliid=I19W5UX8MAFQDT&colid=2TEK9T6P0PU6Q

Or would I be ok going with something a bit cheaper? Keep in mind guys I plan on taking pictures of many different things, mainly nature but it wont be limited to my aquarium. I also go to a lot of sporting events (Broncos, Rockies, Nuggets, avs, etc). My work has season tickets to all listed.

I read Hoya is pretty good for mid-range. Not sure which one to look at here though:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=Hoya+58mm+Kit&x=0&y=0#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_28?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=hoya+58mm+circular+polarizer&sprefix=hoya+58mm+circular+polarizer&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Ahoya+58mm+circular+polarizer