Mangroves Group Buy

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm going to order some off fleebay. Seems like the red and black are the most popular. Any reason to get either type in the aquarium? Also do the roots need to be in sand or water only?

Group buy

Bumblebee 5
Watercolorsguy 10
CindyL 10
Blazinjack 15
JNG 15
FishTV 10
Aztecdreams 15
Highway66 15
PlumCrazy 5

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Mangroves

Pretty sure you want red mangroves.

Black mangroves typically grow further inland where fresh and saltwater mix...they do well in brackish water and can adapt to a wide salinity range. I actually used to grow black mangroves in my freshwater system...I introduced plants as large as 6" tall and also grew them from seeds in FW.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks, building a little box for them to sit in so to say, going to put them in my frag tank and want to hide the roots.

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
I mad a box out of egg crate for mine!! Just be sure to keep a spray bottle under stand to spray them, they can tend to get a lot of slat creep on the leaves!

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had a batch die on me, and I think it was from lack of flow around the roots. Not certain, but I'd make sure they have flow around the roots just in case.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mangroves

09bumblebee;247961 said:
I'm going to order some off fleebay. Seems like the red and black are the most popular. Any reason to get either type in the aquarium? Also do the roots need to be in sand or water only?
Are you ordering seeds or plants? Would you be interested in letting some other people in on the buy, save on shipping?

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
Blazinjack;247982 said:
Are you ordering seeds or plants? Would you be interested in letting some other people in on the buy, save on shipping?
I smell a group buy fermenting...

And I didn't have to spray mine daily. Once a week was fine.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Blazinjack;247982 said:
Ordering plants off eBay. Found a company that does aqua culturing and doesn't remove them from the wild which is awesome. Group buy would be awesome. Most shipping is free. Looks like we can get anywhere from 5-50 I wanted atleast 5 incase a few died.

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD

Shoot us a link so we can see the prices bumble. I did tins of research on these little bugers. The crappy thing is that every site I got on has a different # of plants per gallon to reduce nitrates. I love biological filtration and my tank tends to run 05 nitrates if I do not do any water changes for 1 month (I over feed the crap out of my fish). My goal was to use mangroves as a fix for this instead of water changes (100 gallon water changes gets pricey every 2 weeks) anyways some say that it is 1 plant per gallon. Others say 1 per 10 etc. Anyone have any proof.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
http://bit.ly/XnOyjy

This is only for 15 but I can contact with a number of how many we need to work out a deal. I haven't looked into how many per gallon etc etc.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

09bumblebee;248025 said:
http://bit.ly/XnOyjy

This is only for 15 but I can contact with a number of how many we need to work out a deal. I haven't looked into how many per gallon etc etc.
Those are some nice plants, nice to find them already leafed out instead of just getting pods. I might go in on some with you.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
I think this is who I ordered from. He sent good plants. I'd like 10, if we're doing a group buy.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got a list going on the first post. Should we set a date?