Mangroves Group Buy

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
09bumblebee;248841 said:
Worst case we all just place our own order on eBay with bamboo dynasty they have lots listed and even an add with 40. I'm hoping we don't go that route. I even googled mangrove on google to find a nursery or something. If anyone else anything online let me know and ill contact them.
I may know somebody. I'll shoot them an email and see if they have a contact.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mangroves Group Buy

I've got another one that's grown in freshwater that I could acclimate they will do 100 for 100$ with free shipping I can see if we can do 120 in case we loose some. Anyone have a 20g to acclimate these in?

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mangroves Group Buy

09bumblebee;248859 said:
I've got another one that's grown in freshwater that I could acclimate they will do 100 for 100$ with free shipping I can see if we can do 120 in case we loose some. Anyone have a 20g to acclimate these in?
I've got a 29 gal with stand.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mangroves Group Buy

I guess we will see what everyone wants to do. Is it currently empty jack?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Mangroves Group Buy

Here's the reply that I received from my regular aquatic plant supplier. Brian, if there's interest pm me your email and I'll put you in touch with Devin...or I can check on pricing if you want:

Khalis,
Hi there. Thanks so much for writing.
I am sorry I do not have any red mangroves. Now is not really the best time of year to find new ones because the propagules mature in the fall and it is illegal to collect sprouted plants from the wild. I could ask the one source who sent me black mangroves last year to see if she might be able to get red mangroves, but you will probably have to wait until October or later.
Would you be interested in black mangrove seedlings? I have ~75 black mangroves here beginning to sprout. They are rooted in peat flexiplugs and have been growing in freshwater, but black mangrove can grow in full-strength marine saltwater and you would just need to acclimate them. Black mangrove can be easier to grow as compared to red mangrove because it can withstand light pruning. With its smaller leaves I also think it is a more attractive plant. I could give you a good price on a good-sized lot of black mangroves. These black mangroves could give your club members a good chance to try something different. Black mangrove is the recommended plant for growing in the Tunze Mangrove Box (http://reefbuilders.com/2010/04/08/tunze-mangrove-box-black-mangrove-seedling/) and they also grow very well in the regular Riparium Supply riparium planter.
I apologize I can't offer a very good lead for red mangroves. I could put you in contact with my black mangrove source and she might be able to help you later on this year. Just let me know if those black mangroves might interest you.
Cheers,
Devin

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mangroves Group Buy

Neopterygii;248876 said:
Avicennia germinans is a common plant down here. If yall are gonna buy black mangrove pods, let me see what i can find first.
Where's down here?

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mangroves Group Buy

Khalis got us the hook up on black mangroves but only 75 at 1.25$ each which is a really good deal. They do need to be acclimated to salt though. What's everyone's thoughts?

Sorry about that , i updated my location, i thought i had it displayed. I am 100% sure i know where to find black mangroves, we had several labs over them and it was actually on the field final for coastal plant ecology. If its the time of year for the seed pods (not saying it is) ill send them to yall for cost of S/H.

And those of yall wanting the shrimp, cross your fingers were going tonight.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mangroves Group Buy

09bumblebee;248891 said:
Khalis got us the hook up on black mangroves but only 75 at 1.25$ each which is a really good deal. They do need to be acclimated to salt though. What's everyone's thoughts?
I'm ok with black.

JNG

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
sweet, if we can't go the other route that would be awesome. Thanks for offering Neopterygii

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mangroves Group Buy

Ok I've got a supplier to get us 100 black mangroves waiting on final word for total. But looks to be the best price out there. Will let you know cost per plant shortly

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mangroves Group Buy

They are grown in brackish water, you will have to slowly acclimate them to full salt. They are 1.53$ each plant this includes shipping. If everyone is still good to go than post yes or no and than ill post my Paypal.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey just a heads up for anybody potentially interested...

Devin emailed me a coupon code for his site in case anybody is interested in picking up some planter cups for their mangroves. I know DIY is probably a cheaper option, but just figured I'd share this:

http://ripariumsupply.com/?wpsc-product=small-hanging-planter-3-pack

Get 12% off with the code: MANGROVE12 (valid thru 6/30)

I let him know that another supplier was a better option...and he said he'd keep his ear to the ground for red mangroves if/when they become available in the fall in case anybody is interested in picking some up at that time.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mangroves Group Buy

I'm going to close this down sounds like to much work and not enough interest. It's the wrong time of year as well.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mangroves Group Buy

09bumblebee;249142 said:
I'm going to close this down sounds like to much work and not enough interest. It's the wrong time of year as well.
Sorry I was at work all day... Yeah we will have to remember to bring this up in the fall when there is a good supply.