Mantis Experts?

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm checking another more dedicated forum, but I was going to check to see if there are any local mantis lovers. I have been looking for a graphurus. Today calling around I found Neptunes had one hitchike in with some livestock. Amusingly despite graphurus being rare, there is a distant possibility that it is one, though sounds more like a G. Ternantensis.

Being in Loveland, would be a bit difficult to see them in highlands ranch. I may still make the trip down there tommorow to try and see it. But I didn't know if there was someone local who knew shrimp and could maybe check it out easily/get a picture.

Described it as dark green with orange swimmerets. 4 inches. Through their googling found the orange spot mantis the closest match which would the the G Tern. http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthro...traca/royslist/species.php?name=g_ternatensis

I am too far also so I can't help but maybe he can email you some pictures of the one they have at the store????

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had one of those come in on a piece of Florida live rock about 16-17 years ago. Very cool looking. Unfortunately for him, he ended up living in the sewer.

Elite reef has one also but not sure if it's the same one that you are looking for or if it's for Sale. I know they had him for a long time so you know he is doing good and healthy.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
The one at elite reef is "Mandy" and is only for display.

Yes, generally a species only tank. Pretty much all inverts and fish are fair game.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fitz19d;218084 said:
The one at elite reef is "Mandy" and is only for display.

Yes, generally a species only tank. Pretty much all inverts and fish are fair game.
Well I've seen a lot of smashers housed with fish but never put spearer with fish. There's a zebra spearer for sale online I think at aquatic connection I'm going to be looking into getting a peacock.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Smashers can sometimes catch the fish, so it's kinda a gamble. I dislike spearers. More scary, just hide in the deep sand bed like a trap door spider. If you havn't seen it, be wary of peacock as far as the sensitivity to light is their huge drawback to otherwise being best.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Let me know if you get one or know of any peacocks for sale fitz. If you do I'd love to stop but and check it out I really want to get one when my setup it ready!

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Going to go pick up one tommorow. At this point have 3 different I'D's so no idea what it is yet. Usually I think they take a week or two to settle in.

As far as the peacocks if you are ok with pricey, I know of some in Washington that have been inspected by a RC guy which should be good. But would be like $80 shipped. Locally I've found most places get them on their lists. D&G/Great White/Elite Reef/ and I think that place in Boulder all specifically mentioned being able to get them. Prices would be around $30 I think.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fitz19d;218471 said:
Going to go pick up one tommorow. At this point have 3 different I'D's so no idea what it is yet. Usually I think they take a week or two to settle in.

As far as the peacocks if you are ok with pricey, I know of some in Washington that have been inspected by a RC guy which should be good. But would be like $80 shipped. Locally I've found most places get them on their lists. D&G/Great White/Elite Reef/ and I think that place in Boulder all specifically mentioned being able to get them. Prices would be around $30 I think.
That's awesome! I look forward to seeing pics!!! Ill have to check great white And see what they can do! Any website or something of the like for the ones in Washington? And I'm looking for a smaller specimen preferably.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Those were just LFS that a RC member told me about, and sounds like someone grabbed the cool hyper active 3 inch one.

If you are wanting a smaller specimen, then a peacock may just be a bad choice as they are going to get to 6 inches. If you check out "Roy's List" online lists pretty much every mantis you could get. The mantis shrimp section on reef central has a lot of good info and threads about different sizes and personalities. Many are every bit as colorful as a peacock though maybe not as many colors. There are a few species that are 3 inches or less that are still extremely fierce.

Why a small specimen? Other thing is that they often don't take as much space as needed. Even the 6inch peacock only needs minimum a 30ish gallon and a 40g breeder set up right would be great. (Though some eggcrate over the top prolly a good idea to prevent jumping out when excitedly chasing stuff.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's sucks :/ and I just want a smaller peacock to watch him grow I'm fine with it growing to six inches just don't want to buy a full grown one off the bat. Hoping to get one under 3".

Last edited by a moderator:

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Most places I think usually get them listed as sm/md/large so you could probably do that. Smalls being around 3 inch I think.

This guys smaller than either thing they said, I doubt even 2 inches. Going to get lost in a 55g, might almost give him the sump and go for the big one separately.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fitz19d;218540 said:
Most places I think usually get them listed as sm/md/large so you could probably do that. Smalls being around 3 inch I think.

This guys smaller than either thing they said, I doubt even 2 inches. Going to get lost in a 55g, might almost give him the sump and go for the big one separately.
Oh you picked one up? Lets see picks :) how much did he cost? I will have a 16g tank for it and then will upgrade to a 40breeder. But gonna start off in a all in one.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
The one I got isn't a peacock, it was that as of yet unidentified mantis from neptunes that was a hitchhiker, got it free + buying a few things.

Depending how fast it grows, that 16g won't last too terribly long, so dont plan on doing that upgrade in like 2 years from now.