Marine pure blocks

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a few in my sump.. I like them. My tank cycled ridiculously fast because I seeded one of these.

There are reports that they may leech aluminum into the water. But only people who seem to see an effect is people with lots of leathers. Big thread on r2r.

My final decision. Id use them again.

http://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/247034/

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Thanks, hadn't seen that thread. I'll check it out. After loosing some stuff in the move I'm excited to do a more minimal rock scape. Wanna make sure I still have a stable environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I'm going to try them out at school. Ambrosio has been using the spheres and said they helped clean up an algae problem he has been working out. I'm eventually going to use probably 2 in the library and possibly 4 in the classroom. May be overkill but anything to make maintenance easier.

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.DiSilicate;656688 said:
Thanks, hadn't seen that thread. I'll check it out. After loosing some stuff in the move I'm excited to do a more minimal rock scape. Wanna make sure I still have a stable environment.

After I added the marine pure block that was seeded my tank literally did not register anything after 3 days. (i didn't add anything but it cycled quick)

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I just ordered a 8"x8"x4" block. Potting in the fuge section of the sump after I rinse throughly. Not sure if the aluminum thing can be linked. It's an alumina silicate that is fired to vitrification. Not really worried about it at lease. Does Chad use one of these too? I heard he does and has really great success with softies!

I've been using them for the last year and a half and I am impressed with them and use them in every tank I start and for all the maintenance accounts I have.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd say go for the bigger block when possible. They are all great for a ton of nitrifying bacteria for high loads. Worked great in my packed QT. But even the mfg says that really only the big block has a chance of hosting the anaerobic bacteria that will take nitrate into nitrogen. And also needs to be placed in a low flow area. (Stick it in front of a pump and it's going to get more oxygenated water pushed to middle.)

They are very fragile, 2/3 of mine when rinsing etc were gradually crumbling just from handling at the edges. But the amount of water and time you stand letting it drain is unreal. (And you'll find it holds water in certain areas until you rotate it to find a channel out)

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I have the 8x8x4 block in my sump and 2 boxes of the balls all in my sump. I have them in the first chamber where the inlet is, I might add a couple more blocks for the refugium section when I see them on sale. I really like them, I think they work really well.

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
Nice, can I get the balls? Lol, that was funny to type. Seriously though I'll take a box of them.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk