1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

MASC member tank build-off competition

Discussion in 'MASC Run Contests' started by SynDen, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

How does RO water factor into this equation. Seeing as how most of us already have ro

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

RO is one of the things that isnt counted toward the total spend amount

3. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

who else is in or considering joining?

4. jda123

jda123 Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

I hope that there is a lot. I have already started to acquire stuff. I just got a Marineland 60g cube (older), stand, sump and pump outside of Animal Attraction for $200. Bulkhead and some PVC and I am in business.

Can somebody ask Ron, when they see him, if he wants any of these tanks/setups when the contest is done? I will gladly donate mine to a school or any place that will get use out of it.

TheRealChrisBrown likes this.
  5. jda123

FWIW - I was just in Aqua Imports in Boulder and their used section has tons of useful stuff. There is a 70w Halide if somebody is thinking of a smaller tank. There are a few cheap CaRx, lights and some pumps and stuff.

6. kchristensen8064

kchristensen8064 Prawn M.A.S.C Club Member

Did you see what they were asking for the halide?

7. jda123

Maybe $60 or 70? I have gotten stuff from the used pile before and they will negotiate some from what I have seen. Tomorrow is 20% off the whole store - saw a sign when I was in there. They have some 150w Halides too - even a PFO setup.

kchristensen8064 likes this.
  8. scchase

scchase Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Hmm I need a new calcium reactor, any idea how much they were?

9. kchristensen8064

I'm considering, public speaking and I don't get along so that's one of my hang-ups.

10. jda123

Scott - they had a pretty good sized one for $100, I think. Give 'em a call.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    TheRealChrisBrown likes this.
  11. SkyShark

SkyShark Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I’m sure we can work something out if you win

12. FOURSTARS

FOURSTARS Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

I’m considering this, finally become a member too. I live so far from Denver it’s been hard to commit. I’m pretty cheap and like the idea of of showing you don’t have to be rich to run a successful tank.

13. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Do it! Simple can be great. It’s all about understanding the basics. All the other stuff is really just fluff. I ran some awesome tanks with live rock, halides and some water movement along with a decent skimmer back in the day. I’m really looking forward to seeing these!

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

14. kchristensen8064

What would you have in mind? I highly doubt that I would even come close to winning but I'm weighing all my options.

15. FOURSTARS

FOURSTARS Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

The rules state not to start till the beginning of the contest. Can I put rock In my sump now to create some live rock?

16. SkyShark

SkyShark Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Hmm. We’ll cross that bridge when we get there, but I totally understand the apprehension with public speaking. We could work with you on a PowerPoint or something similar and a member of the board could present it (or even co-present it with you). Don’t let that part hold you back

17. kchristensen8064

I'm not counting on crossing that bridge, I don't ever win anything, but the contest seems like it would be a fun challenge. I like a little competition. I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it as I've already started acquiring all the things I'm going to need. That part of it just makes me nervous.

18. kchristensen8064

I'm wondering the same thing...

19. zombie

zombie Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

I don't see why not. You can buy live rock to add at the start of the contest, so I see no reason why you couldn't make your own. It would probably be fair to double to cost of your dry rock that you turned live early as far as your $1000 limit is concerned to make things more fair to those purchasing live rock or cycling in tank at the start, but otherwise seems pretty reasonable to me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

20. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

I do not think cooking rock now would be allowed unless you count the count the cost for live whrn it actually starts.... just my .02.

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk