Matt's 120 Gallon Tall Build

mpastries

Cleaner Shrimp
So this tank was originally Seth's before he deserted all of us for an amazing job in DC. He didn't really desert us, it was a great opportunity for him, that was a joke! It is a 120 Gallon Tall (48"x24"x24") with a 40 Breeder sump. I am running 2-2 bulb and 1-4 bulb T5 fixtures. I am running new ATI bulbs - 2 Aqua Blue Specials, 2 Coral Plus, 2 True Actinic, and 2 random bulbs that were in fixtures when I got them from Seth. I think one is a blue and the other might be a 10k. I picked those bulbs to find a happy medium between growth and color, but we will see how it goes. I just got water in it last week and am just starting to cycle the beast!

I baked all of the rock in the sun for about 3-4 weeks before setting it up. We had an area in the basement the contained a "dry" bar that I removed and then I put vinyl flooring down. The space for the tank is almost perfect. There are ~5"s between the tank and the wall on both sides. I am currently running an extremely small protein skimmer due to budget (Turboflotor Blue 1000 by Aqua Medic). The skimmer is rated for 125 gallons, and with the sump I am probably closer to 150 gallons total in the system. The second pictures shows the lights before I changed out the bulbs, and the third picture reflects the new bulbs.

I am going to be slowly adding to the tank with only a $100/month budget ... it will be slow going. I think that I have an ok start, and have 50lbs of rock coming to me from reefcleaners/org. I will update some photos with the new rock once I get it. After the tank is cycled I will start moving everything over from my 29 gallon biocube. I have a scooter blenny, blue and yellow damsel, two regular clowns, and a coris wrasse that will be moved over. I have an acan, favia, 4 or 5 varieties of zoa/palys, hollywood stunner chalice, bubble gum chalice, 4 or 5 varieties of SPS, green star polyp, a purple hammer, an orange mushroom, and a toadstool that will get moved over too. With the Corals I have whatever rock that is in there now, and I also have some rock in my quarantine tank.

If you want to know anything else, or want to see pictures of anything specific please let me know. I am hoping that I can share with others what I learn as I go along.

View attachment 24198 View attachment 24199 View attachment 24200

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Once you start getting corals in there you will want at least 4 ATI Blue + bulbs. But looks awesome in that place. I look forward to seeing how you set it up.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;356522 said:
Once you start getting corals in there you will want at least 4 ATI Blue + bulbs. But looks awesome in that place. I look forward to seeing how you set it up.
Not sure on growth rate but the blue+ bulbs give wayyyyyy better color.

Mermaid Gardens

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks like that spot was made for a fish tank.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I loved that tank when I had it! It would be great with 2 halides. I have a couple for sale. Lol anyhow, good luck, Seth got that tank from me 3 years ago now I think. Has good reef mojo!

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;356713 said:
I loved that tank when I had it! It would be great with 2 halides. I have a couple for sale. Lol anyhow, good luck, Seth got that tank from me 3 years ago now I think. Has good reef mojo!
The tank also has a lot of love in it :)

mpastries

Cleaner Shrimp
I am glad to know there is so much good juju in that thing. I am thinking that I might want to make the switch to MH, but I will probably wait about a year before then. Need to put some money into other things first. Thanks for the compliments, we were really lucky with the space in my basement it worked out just perfectly for the tank. Not quite as fancy as a built in, but I will take it!

P.S. I am already tired of cycling and can't wait to get some fish in there.! I am going to take some pictures of the sump this week or weekend. I threw in a rock into the sump that has plenty of pods and macro algae that came out of my biocube sump. I haven't covered that at all yet.

mpastries

Cleaner Shrimp
So I added about 50lbs of rock from reefcleaners.org and moved a yellow tail damsel into the tank. I also have some random macro in the refugium that was left over from Seth, thanks Seth, and some that came out of the sump of the biocube. I did a ~30 gallon water change last weekend and will probably start weekly 15 gallon changes from here on out. We will see how that affects the cycling of the tank. I might ACTUALLY be coral ready before Seth ... but his tank looks waaaaaay cooler than mine does.

mpastries

Cleaner Shrimp
So here is an update:
-I moved my lights down to get better PAR.
-I moved almost everything over from my biocube.
-There is a clean up crew from reefcleaners.org in there.
-There are: a yellow tail damsel, ocellaris clown, scooter blenny, and scopas tang in the tank. I will add my coris wrasse once he comes out of the sand in the biocube.
-Majority of corals are really happy.

If you want any specifics on corals or pictures please let me know. I will get some better pictures of the livestock too. I still have some algae obviously, but it has been going away fairly quickly (thank you clean up crew!). Let me know if there is anything else anyone wants to know about. I had some issues getting pictures loaded so I will try in different posts to get them up.

mpastries

Cleaner Shrimp
It was really great meeting everyone at the meeting this weekend! Thanks Gonzo for hosting it was a really great time. Since seeing everyone, it has lit a fire under my butt and I am going to post some pictures of my current fish. The list has changed a little since the last time I posted because I had some clowns commit suicide! One legitimately pulled a Finding Nemo and took the PVC slide down into the sump which was ultimately to his demise. Here is my list: 1 Naso Tang, 1 Scopas Tang, 2 Firefish, 1 Yellow Tail Damsel, 1 Coris Wrasse, and 1 Female Leopard Wrasse.

I have some red cyano, hair algae, and dictoyta issues right now which is a little embarrassing. Hopefully I can sort it out through ecology. I have a ton of inverts in there working on it right now.
View attachment 24641
[attachment=69445:name]
View attachment 24643
View attachment 24644
View attachment 24645