MH Ballast Question

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just picked up a galaxy ballast that was running 400w bulbs. The directions say it can run 250w with a different cord. Supposedly it can recognize the watts based on the cord.

Am I right in assuming that the output cord to the metal halide lamp is the one to determine the watts? The confusion comes because the input for the AC wall cord says 125vAC on it. Was wondering if I could just use a 250w bulb in the lamp in place of the 400w or do I need to purchase a different cord for that? Thanks!

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just checked and the AC cord going to the ballast says 125v, I'm assuming this means I can run the 250 bulbs in it and it's been running the 400w bulbs under driven?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kirblit;644647 said:
Should have a switch to select 250/400 watt lamp. You can run this ballast on 125v or 240v power, that's where a different cord and wiring comes in. Should be wired for standard house power of 125v, most would not run it @ 240v that's more of a European thing.
No switch, says that it'll automatically recognize the cord for the 250 vs 400 watt lamps. Trying to figure out if the cord I have is the one for 250 or 400 watt.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Some are not switchable for the lamps yours is only switchable for the input voltage not the lamp

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
At least based on what you posted post a picture of the ballast

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
scchase;644646 said:
240 v input power not watts for lamps
Kirblit;644647 said:
Should have a switch to select 250/400 watt lamp. You can run this ballast on 125v or 240v power, that's where a different cord and wiring comes in. Should be wired for standard house power of 125v, most would not run it @ 240v that's more of a European thing.
*facepalm*
totally see what you mean now Scott, the 240v is for HPS bulbs while the 120 is for MH bulbs.
There isn't a switch, it's a 400w only for MH or HPS - which is fine because I was running 2x400w anyways.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
120 vs 240 has nothing to do with high pressure sodium bulbs HPS vs MH bulbs. Hooking the ballast up to 240 is a more efficient means of powering the ballast.
Its not a European thing either, It's simply giving you the option if you wanted to install a 240v receptacle or already had one.