Mike's 75 rimless

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

Pic of tank mostly up and running! I did the aquascape today. Pics tomorrow when I get back home from the mother in law. We also got a kole tang! Loving it!

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Came home @ 4:30 both the new tang and the kole ate but were breathing hard. By 6:00 the kole was in hiding and the yellow is on the bottom. I did a 10 gallon water change and tested the old water. I am having a cycle dammit!!!! I ran to the store and got prime and doubled the dose. The fuge sand is the only thing that hasn't been running for weeks.
The other occupants including the sps all look happy.
I am wondering if, in my absence the tanga have been fighting? Or the tangs are more sensitive than the corals to the cycle? I feel like a dumb a$$. Any suggestions would help. The yellow tang's respiration seems to have slowed a bit after the water change and prime...still can not find the kole.

Hope for the best

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Yellow tang died(rip) kole seems to be pulling thru. I am doing a 5 gallon water change every night. Things seem to be cooling off now. I think the sand from the old tank may have had some nasties in it when stirred up.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If there was an old sand stir or addition the redox was likely dropped, meaning a lack of O2 available in the water, which for animals that do not respirate very quickly (corals) this is not a major issue short term, however for fish this can be a major problem.
Anoxic sand can also contain nitric and sulpheric acid, and also cause the mini cycle you are seeing now.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
wicked demon;75499 said:
If there was an old sand stir or addition the redox was likely dropped, meaning a lack of O2 available in the water, which for animals that do not respirate very quickly (corals) this is not a major issue short term, however for fish this can be a major problem.
Anoxic sand can also contain nitric and sulpheric acid, and also cause the mini cycle you are seeing now.
Yep! I wish I spent the money on new sand! Hind site

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Off The Deep End;75600 said:
Mike the tank is looking good! sorry to hear about the tang:(
Thanks. I just hate to kill stuff from pure stupidity. Things are doing a bit better now. How is my old cube? Is it running yet? How did your son do last week?

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The cube is up and running just waiting for the cycle to finish then ill be back in business! Neven is doing better the surgery went well but we had our worse nightmare come true, we were at poudre valley hospital and got a phone call that our other son was being rushed to McKee in an ambulance, it scared the s**t out of me. I guess what he had was a fever seizure and after 6 hours at McKee they said everything was normal and i got to go back to pvh to be with neven at 3am.crazy and stressful but now they are both back to the norm and doing well.