1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

Montipora eating nudibranch

Discussion in 'Pests and Possible Troublesome Inverts' started by Balz3352, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Well finally figured out what wiped out my colony of tubbs Stelatta. Montipora eating nudibranch. Anyone have experience with these guys?

2. SkyShark

SkyShark Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Sorry to hear. I had them a couple years ago. I ended up just tossing my montis and starved them out. I think the only monti I have now is purple digi - I’d be happy to DBTC you some when you get rid of them.
    I think I made a post when I had them about which dips killed them. Some didn’t have any effect.

Haddonisreef likes this.
  3. SkyShark

Here's the thread from when I had them:
    http://www.marinecolorado.org/threads/montipora-eating-nudibranch-infestation.19438/

Regarding which dips killed them:
    "Coral Rx, Revive, and Reef Dip all killed the nudibranchs within five minutes at their respective recommended strengths. Bayer did not affect the nudibranchs at all. I was having trouble spotting the eggs and telling if they were killed because they are so small, so unfortunately I don't have any insight to give there."

Haddonisreef likes this.
  4. Balz3352

Yeah coral rx worked for all the frags in my frag tank. Im afraid all thw montis in my dt are doomed. They are all established and encrusted on the rock. Except my rainbow monti. Luckily my tank only has like 4 montis in it but still sucks..don't know how i got them or where I got them.

5. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

one egg on a frag plug is all it takes, and also the reason to QT corals for a few weeks too

6. Balz3352

I need to figure out a qt situation.

7. SkyShark

Yep, mine came in as eggs on a non monti frag plug. At least I’m pretty sure that’s how they got in.

8. Balz3352

Gotta be the same situation for me. I haven't added montis in months. And i dip everything in revive and coralrx.. Had to be eggs non monti

9. Balz3352

Look at the size of this bastard

10. Balz3352

11. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

I also have had these oh what a pain! Only thing worse are zoa eating nudis! Good luck

12. Fourthwind

Fourthwind Amphipod M.A.S.C Club Member

Green Coris wrasse, and I have been told springeri damsels eat them as well, but cannot verify that one.

13. SantaMonicaHelp

SantaMonicaHelp Copepod

Sorry to hear about your corals, though I'd be lying if I said I didn't think it was cool looking.

-Kamran

14. BrianH

BrianH Prawn Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member

Sorry to hear that, I had them a couple years ago and it was awful. I dipped every 48 hours for 2 weeks where I could but they continued to thrive on the encrusted montis. I sucked them out with a turkey baster at night until I realized they were winning. I then watched them eat all my montis (except my seotsa that they never touched) over the next few months. I didn't add a new monti for 9 months(probably excessive.) I do keep a yellow coris wrasse and springeri damsel in the tank now as a preventative measure just in case I get them again. I can't say yet if they work though. I have a frag of your tubbs that i will just let grow in my frag tank for you until you are ready to try again.

Balz3352 likes this.
  15. Balz3352

Thanks for all the support guys. Looking into wrasses now.

16. BrianH

BrianH Prawn Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member