Montipora w algae?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not sure what this is that's creeping up my monti cap. Started 2 days ago. Algae?

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Ill let the hard coral experts chime in if im wrong here, but it not algae, Im not a stony coral guy but I believe the term is RTN, Rapid Tissue Necrosis. Its dying. Best bet is to trim away what is turning brown in hopes it doesnt spread more

Im not sure if the bubble algae that I see in that same area on the plug has anything to do with it or not

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
That is definately RTN. Spreads real fast. Break off the parts that have it and improve water quality as much as possible. I have had the best luck by breaking the unaffected piece into 3 pieces, dipping the pieces in coral rx or similar for 5 minutes, and then placing each in a different flow and lighting (some higher than it was, some lower). Usually two of the 3 make it. When I just removed the dead stuff, it usually didnt make it.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
the brown is likely diatoms that show up on the skeleton when the tissue starts to recede. The coral looks a bit stressed...how's the light/flow? Could be the image but it looks a little bleached, I'd move it to lower light to see if it improves, especially if it's a new addition to the tank. If it keeps receding I'd frag a healthy portion..but you could try relocating for now.

Have you tested your parameters?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haven't tested yet and due for a water change scheduled tomorrow. Had it for 3 weeks so far. I'll take a sample to Vince tomorrow and see what comes up.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pulled the cap off its plug and the entire underside was grey/dark green. Was able to break off 2 dime sized pieces that weren't affected yet and placed those on opposite ends of the tank is good flow and moderate light. Hoping they heal well as this was one of my favorites so far, red w orange polyps that really popped. Ho hum. Will let u guys know if they pull thru.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReefCheif;326495 said:
Im not sure if the bubble algae that I see in that same area on the plug has anything to do with it or not
It had a nice curve on the piece up and off if the plug that I couldn't see and when I pulled it off the plug lots of bubble algae had been sticking to it so maybe...idk.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;326501 said:
The coral looks a bit stressed...how's the light/flow? Could be the image but it looks a little bleached, I'd move it to lower light to see if it improves...?
120 watt full spec whites on 6hrs and blues on an hour before till an hour after.
2 800 koralias in each corner pointing to center.
Did a 1/3 water change yesterday.
Reef keeper keeps temp at 79.
Parameters were good and have been stable for months now, got the coral 3 weeks ago and showed signed of stress last week. Maybe from the move? I also don't run a skimmer at the moment, this is my first run at sps so learning curve for me.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just started trying a new product a few days ago to see if I can help reduce the stress that a couple of corals I have were under. I lost a couple of SPS before I upgraded the tank and noticed some STN on a couple of others. I don't know if the product works or not, but I thought I would try it out. It's called PhycoPure by AlgaGen. I added 2 corals from Sethsoloman that were browned out in his tank. One a rainbow acro, the other a blue/yellow acro. I put them in the tank a couple of days before I started the PhycoPure. I have only had them in the tank since Friday the 5th and started the PhycoPure on the 8th. Both corals are starting to get color in the tips. So, may be coincidence but it may be this stuff works. I do suggest you get a protein skimmer on your system as soon as you can. My SPS survived for the most part in my last system without a skimmer, but they seem to be thriving now that I am using one.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have one for the tank upgrade, hoping to have that done by end of the month. When I did the water change I also cleaned all te water pumps, they were gunky as well. All my other monti caps and digis are doing fine, pocillipora is lookin a little stressed but I think the anemone tried to attach to it.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;326729 said:
I have a couple montes I can cut you if you need to replace. Once established they grow like crazy.
Sweet! Thanks mike!!! I'll pm yah when the new tank is stable.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I was able to cut 2 pieces off it and this is what both look like today.