First time moving a tank

Hi, thank you all for the warm welcome. Native to Colorado and started my 125g tank about 5 years ago I dont have much but its a leopard pleco some neon tetras and an angelfish that have been doing great. I'm moving up to the mountians before thanksgiving and I'm not sure how to transport all of these fish and the tank and keep everything going as well as it has been any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Tank moves can be stressful but not all that hard with some planning. Well you first need a number of 5g buckets with lids. You will also need some airstone, air tubing and a air pump or two. Fill each bucket with tank water, and I'd put 1-2 fish per 5g bucket. I would also scoop out your gravel and put some of it in a 5g bucket with a little water too. Some of the gravel can be rinsed and cleaned, but you will want at least some of it so that you avoid a full cycle on the tank.
Since its freshwater, you just need to keep the fish water buckets aerated while they are waiting, but they should be fine without aeration during the drive up. Once you get them up to the new house add the aeration back to the buckets, and they should be good for up to a day or two like this while you get the tank moved and setup again.
Setup the tank at the new house, get it up to temp and everything. Add and plants back first, and then once ready you can add the fish back.

Also I would move the tank as the very first thing if you can. Get it moved and setup before you start moving anything else. This way the tank will be coming up to temp and stabilizing while you are moving the rest of the house, and then once you are moved it should be ready to add the fish. You can also move it as the very last thing, but generally you are pretty tired by then so it can be a bit more difficult at that point. Just dont move it during the middle of the move as it can complicate things and usually just adds more stress to you and the fish ime

Ambrosio Aquatics

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
perfect game plan by synden. i would also add if you cant get the tank up early you can get some larger totes fill them with water a heater and sponge filter or HOB filter (i prefer sponge in this case) now once they are at temp you can use the bucket method to transport the livestock and transfer them to the tote until you can get the tank up and running. or you can set up a few totes at your old home to transfer the fish to so you can move the tank first. set it up get it to temp and then go load up your fish and get them in the tank i would also suggest adding a bit of cycling bacteria to the tank once it is set back up and watch your ammonia cycle for the first week or 2 . just be sure to keep watch of the temps and not overcrowd the transport containers as the o2 levels will drop quickly

scmountain

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
A battery-less solution to oxygenating buckets for $2! (I have used this method during a power outage and it saved my fish!)

Kayanarka

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
My local fish store has a truck they can use to pump the water out of, and then back into, your tank. They setup my first tank for me including moving the tank and the water.