Move an Anemone?

maxfrenkel19

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hello,

Does anyone have any good tips on how to get an anemone to move? Mine recently decided to stroll, and settled on top of a zoa colony...I have tried a couple methods I found via google:
1. Pointed a powerhead at it for 30 minutes or so to try to convince it to move
2. Held an ice cube very close to its foot

Neither of these worked, so here is my last-ditch effort to see if anyone here knows any "special technique". I know that ultimately the anemone will go where he pleases, but if I can just convince him to go ANYWHERE else in the tank he'll be fine (he set up shop on top of my only immobile coral, it has grown onto the rockwork).

Thanks for any tips!

I also tried both of these methods and they didn't work.. They best method I found was to place the powerhead near it's foot and then gently start rubbing the foot with your finger until part of it lets go. Then start to rub under the foot and more and more will come off. It took about an hour for me but eventually it worked and I didn't damage the foot.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Maybe try leaving a powerhead in the tank pointed on it until it moves (several days). Also if you can pull the rock out of the tank and let the nem hang upside down (yes hanging like it looks like it will rip) then use the ice on its foot this also works decently well. In the end if all else fails you could try a 50% water change and it prob will move, heck you might even end up with two of them :D

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;277625 said:
Maybe try leaving a powerhead in the tank pointed on it until it moves (several days).
+1 I've coaxed mine to move by just pointing a powerhead at it and leaving it there; it took a few days but, I woke up one morning and it had moved itself over into a better spot. :)

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Heres the problem, the nem oved there for a reason, it may not want to move again as it may have found a spot it likes, or if you move it yourself it may very well move right back. In all honesty it may be easier to move your zoas.

maxfrenkel19

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nmertz1;277624 said:
I also tried both of these methods and they didn't work.. They best method I found was to place the powerhead near it's foot and then gently start rubbing the foot with your finger until part of it lets go. Then start to rub under the foot and more and more will come off. It took about an hour for me but eventually it worked and I didn't damage the foot.
jahmic;277629 said:
+1 I've coaxed mine to move by just pointing a powerhead at it and leaving it there; it took a few days but, I woke up one morning and it had moved itself over into a better spot. :)
Thanks for the replies, sounds like the powerhead trick works but I wasn't using it for long enough. Can't believe I'm going to spend an hour massaging the foot of an anemone LOL.

CRW Reef;277625 said:
Maybe try leaving a powerhead in the tank pointed on it until it moves (several days). Also if you can pull the rock out of the tank and let the nem hang upside down (yes hanging like it looks like it will rip) then use the ice on its foot this also works decently well. In the end if all else fails you could try a 50% water change and it prob will move, heck you might even end up with two of them :D
I will try some of the other methods you mentioned if I really can't get the powerhead to work. I do like the idea of ending up with 2 anemones!

maxfrenkel19

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReefCheif;277634 said:
Heres the problem, the nem oved there for a reason, it may not want to move again as it may have found a spot it likes, or if you move it yourself it may very well move right back. In all honesty it may be easier to move your zoas.
Understood, but if I can get him to like ANY other spot in the tank, he would be fine. None of my other corals are attached to the rockwork and could easily be moved if necessary. I wouldn't mind moving the zoas, I really just don't know how and don't want to hurt them...they are pretty attached.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cherub;277664 said:
MASC club cards work wonders on the foot of a nem. That's not even a joke. Use your card
I'm gonna have you make everyone new cards when they come crying because they de-laminated theirs! :p

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
maxfrenkel19;277674 said:
Interesting! I'll see if I can dig the corner of a card under him. Thanks for the input.
I have also heard of people using frozen butter knives for this method :D

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just want to add this since some of you may not know/have tried. I had an anemone that had been stuck to a rock for over a year. Turning it upside down, using ice, pointing a powerhead at it for a week, using a card, none of it worked.

Get a air bubbler (not huge, like 10g to 50 gallon rated, I used a 10 gallon rated) and get about 5 feet of tubing, Cut the tip of the tubing at 45 degrees. And stick the corner of that hose in the bottom part of the foot (so that the bubbles rise into the anemone) and slowly keep pushing it under the nem until it comes off.

I struggled for 3 weeks trying to get it to move. This LITERALLY took 5 minutes :encouragement: