MP40 or Tunze 6105

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I have the money for 1, maybe 2. What's your guys thoughts? I do have an MP20 that I can upgrade to MP40W ES for $150, so that's a plus side on the MP.

Anybody have experience with both? I have an Apex and the modules to control either pump so that's not an issue. I want quiet and good flow so they'll work when I go reef again. I also don't want issues like I'm always reading about the MPs.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
what issues are you reading about? only issue ive had with my mp40 is the wetside would fall off occasionally.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
MP40 or Tunze 6105

Noise is a big thing I've read about. Also a lot of people having issues with the wet side needing rebuilt.

I really like that you can aim the Tunze's, that would let me put them on the back wall which would be really nice.

Drew

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think the noise issue is due to the unit not being properly aligned. Same goes for the rebuild of wetside... usually wears out due to not be aligned. I would say that 90% of the customers that I dealt with that had issues was due to not following the instructions and not properly aligning the wetside/dryside. If you dont use the spacer provided with the correct glass thickness, all sorts of issues arise.

As far as the tunze go. Excellent pump, very reliable.... and they make a rock to hide them in.

I like both pumps and have never had issues with either of them.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Re: MP40 or Tunze 6105

I would be curious who, if anyone here on MASC had ever tried both personally. I've never seen a tunze 6105 in action on anyones tanks I know personally.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
MP40 or Tunze 6105

I'm pretty sure 280g reefman has used both. If I remember he sold his Tunze to try the MPs and wasn't happy at all. I could PM him, but thought maybe everyone would benefit from the info in this thread.

Drew

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
MP40 or Tunze 6105

cdrewferd;213239 said:
I'm pretty sure 280g reefman has used both. If I remember he sold his Tunze to try the MPs and wasn't happy at all. I could PM him, but thought maybe everyone would benefit from the info in this thread.

Drew

That Tunze is what was making the waves at the October meeting at MajicMikes.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
MP40 or Tunze 6105

He had a wavebox, but then had MP40s I believe too.

Drew

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
MP40 or Tunze 6105

cdrewferd;213241 said:
He had a wavebox, but then had MP40s I believe too.

Drew

Who? Mike never had MP40s. I know mike bought the wavemaker from 280g and then 280g bought a few MP40s. Then one of them was making a horrible noise that wasn't covered under warranty for some reason...

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
MP40 or Tunze 6105

Ahh, so Mike ran all Tunze, or just the wave box?

Drew

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
MP40 or Tunze 6105

cdrewferd;213244 said:
Ahh, so Mike ran all Tunze, or just the wave box?

Drew

Mike ran the wave box and a few marine land modded maxi jets.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: MP40 or Tunze 6105

I've tried both: had mp40 never had an issue, have mp10 it's loud (high pitch whine) on higher settings, have Tunze 6055 has vibration (enough to scare the fish on higher settings) I have issues with the front falling off.

HTH

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have tunze 6055 and 6101. Quiet and seem to be well built. Never had to replace a part. Also can change direction of flow with a turn of the head itself. Also cost less. The wide flow pumps move a lot of water. Downside footprint in the tank is a little bigger and you have a cord in the tank. My mp40s are noisy and i have already replaced a wetside. However i like the smaller footprint and no cord in the tank. So ask yourself if you can tolerate a little noise and want a cleaner looking tank or something completely quiet that is more reliable. I know you asked for the 6105 review but all my tunze are quiet and last a long time and are controllable too.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
MP40 or Tunze 6105

How about the wave action itself? I'm getting ready to buy an MP10 for my 40 breeder. I've always run korelias on a Redsea wavemaker (which has never made a wave, just random circulation) I'm siding towards the MP because of space in the tank but I know I want the back and forth wave action

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have 2 MP40's and 2 MP10's. At first there was an issue with noise, but I simply re-positioned the wet side until it went away. Make sure that you read the manual and set them up properly. If your glass is thin, it is imperative to use the spacer. The only time I notice the noise is when I program the MP10's in NTM mode and turn them all the way up. The MP40's make a little noise, but it does not bother me. Most of the time I have mine in reefcrest mode with the flow turned up all the way.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
MP40 or Tunze 6105

Hmm. Maybe I'll just grab an MP40 and try it out. Can always resell it if I don't like it. Would e nice to see if upgrading the 20 would be worth it.

Drew

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would also add that the 2 MP40's are on a 90Gallon reef tank. 1 MP10 on a Biocube 29 and 1 MP10 on a Nuvo 16 Gallon nano. Needless to say I would not build a display tank without one as they do a great job at keeping nuisance algae off my rocks. For my breeder I find that a Hydor does the trick, as it is a bare bottom with low light.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use a tunze 6055. I love it, quiet and nice to place the flow where i want it. Downside is the cord coming out of the tank.