MP40 or Tunze 6105

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well I grabbed an MP40W ES from Kalgra. Amazing price. Took about 2 minutes to align. I'll update this thread as I get the pump broken in and everything working the way I want.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I've had the MP40 for 2 weeks. Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome pump. The noise from ramping up and down is horrible. Without that my tank is nearly silent. I know the Tunze just puts the noise on the inside, but I would prefer that.

Anybody have a 6105 they want to trade for?

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
cdrewferd;216777 said:
So I've had the MP40 for 2 weeks. Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome pump. The noise from ramping up and down is horrible. Without that my tank is nearly silent. I know the Tunze just puts the noise on the inside, but I would prefer that.

Anybody have a 6105 they want to trade for?
Dang wish I had a 6105.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm grabbing 2 6105's from the guy in Boulder. I'm going to run 1 of those and the MP for a week or 2 and decide which one I like best. Already have a few people asking about the MP, lol.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, put the 6105's put in this morning. They are freaking awesome. No sound from ramping up and down. My tank is a ton quieter now. Need to get the wide flow guards, but I'm already in love with these pumps. They are a little big, but since they are on the back wall I stead of the sides, they don't seem all that big. I'll post a pic later.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
ok well not to hijack this thread it's just easier to ask on this. Getting a tunze or mp this weekend. I have a reef angel that only requires a 10 dollar cable to control the tunze. It can also control an MP for 100 bucks. The MP doesn't take as much in tank room but is known to be a loud option. That's pretty much all I've gathered. So the tunze is cheaper on base price and cheaper for the controller. The mp has many qualities I like including the wireless. Based on that what would you recommend?

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
It really depends. If you are going to be able to run the MP's around 75% power or lower then they'll be quiet. If you don't mind hearing the humm they make while ramping up and down then you'll be fine that way as well.

I really like the tunze's as I moved from 2 pumps on the side of the tank, to 2 on the back glass. I can aim them and truely feel that I'm getting better flow. Feeding time shows this as well.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
hmm yeah placement aside is there a huge difference in performance? I doubt I will run it at full capacity as that's a bit insane for a 75 gallon lol

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I need to get the wide flow heads for mine before I can equally compare the performance.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Agree with Drew. MP's are a good product, and have some neat built in features. I really like the aesthetics of them more, but it depends on your setup. A good friend of mine has the 40's and 10's on an Apex. It's easy to configure. I have a pair of 6095's on an apex. Hard to configure, but in the end, they are quiet, and they are pointed exactly where I want. Also, for my particular set up I could not use the MP's because it's a built in tank and there are walls on the wet side.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cherub;221280 said:
hmm yeah placement aside is there a huge difference in performance? I doubt I will run it at full capacity as that's a bit insane for a 75 gallon lol
you say that but I run my 6095's at 100% a lot and it's not too much

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's nice to control the tunze's how you want not how ecotech lets you. I run mine at 100% for 1.8 sec and than off for 1.4 sec and so on. It's the most natural wave I've ever seen for power heads.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cherub;221309 said:
oh are the MP's limited on flow choice then? that may be the determining factor lol
I wouldn't say that, lol. Just that you are limited to their pre-programmed patterns...but I think there are plenty to choose from.

If you get a chance to stop by this weekend before making your purchase you can mess with the MP10wes I have on the 20 long to see the different patterns. The major limitations with the bortechs IMO is placement and directing flow...depending on your tank's setup.

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
MP40 or Tunze 6105

I am a fan of the MP's mostly from the flush look but not fond of the price I don't think I would ever buy a new MP but I have owned one and liked it a lot and people that didn't know much about saltwater always commented on how "cool" it was so just for "cool" factor go MP all day everyday!!!

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;221313 said:
I wouldn't say that, lol. Just that you are limited to their pre-programmed patterns...but I think there are plenty to choose from.

If you get a chance to stop by this weekend before making your purchase you can mess with the MP10wes I have on the 20 long to see the different patterns. The major limitations with the mp10 IMO is placement and directing flow...depending on your tank's setup.
Well I was about to hit submit on the BRS website for the tunze lol I will come by

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cherub;221315 said:
Well I was about to hit submit on the BRS website for the tunze lol I will come by
Haha cool. I'll be around most of this evening as well after about 7:30

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I still have that MP40W ES you can buy.