MuralReef 360 Classroom Tank

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
View attachment 14055 Those of you whom I have met know that I am trying to instill my passion for reefing in my students. My acrylic 225 that has been running since last November recently developed a crack in the top brace. I recently patched it but know its days are numbered. Here is a shot of the crack and the DD I'd like to get. I plan to transfer all livestock and equipment. Here is a link to the crowd share I set up since I have already dropped a ton of cash into the initial set up and to keep it going I need help. I plan on showing the step by step here. http://www.gofundme.com/31wibc I'd also like to host a meeting and the frag swap since we have the space. I just need to clear it with the principal first. View attachment 14054

Mike

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: 300 DD build and fundraiser

$50 bucks to you hope you reach your goal. The teachers that made the biggest impact on me where the ones that had animals in the class room. I know you are making a difference!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
300 DD build and fundraiser

Made a small donation.! 20 bucks. Good luck to you. Teachers rock!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
You guys are awesome and I really appreciate it. I was talking to one of my future students (think she is in 2nd grade) on Friday and she spent like 30 minutes in my classroom asking what's in here questions. She ended her tour of my room and she said I think you are the only teacher that has classroom pets and this disappointed me. I agree Mike one of the teachers I remember the most was my HS bio teacher and he was a weird guy but he had animals that he used in class and it was his class that hooked me more than any other.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
What kind of sand do you use? Do you use all the same grain size or do you vary the size? Do you add some puka shell for hermits and burrowers? My diamond goby doesn't seem to mind puka. Just looking for thoughts

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I like the Marco Rocks sand. The coarse stuff. It's Bahamian sand, looks to be shoveled fresh off the beach there.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
What should I use as a sump for this big boy? I was going to use the 55 I am currently using but I am not sure if that is big enough. If it is I'll just use it. If not I was thinking of making some precision cuts on the 225 to decrease its height and length. After that cut some baffles and replace the top. Is this possible?

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
300 DD build and fundraiser

Are you good with a router? If so you could clamp some 1x3's to the tank at the height and use a router to cut it down. You'd also need to brace it.

I'd figure out how much water can flow back into the sump to determine I'd the 55 can handle it. The volume of your over flows and the volume of the back siphon is what you need to know. If the 55 can hold it I'd just do that. My gut tells me you are goona need something bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuralReef;249405 said:
What should I use as a sump for this big boy? I was going to use the 55 I am currently using but I am not sure if that is big enough. If it is I'll just use it. If not I was thinking of making some precision cuts on the 225 to decrease its height and length. After that cut some baffles and replace the top. Is this possible?
Absolutely possible, that's what's nice about acrylic. There are several members who work with acrylic you can get in touch with. DVenson comes to mind.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
You should contact craigr. he is selling his 270! almost the same dimensions as the 300 DD. plus it has a closed loop and lots of other cool stuff built in!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Already contacted him and he isn't sure if he is going to let it go. I thought it was a great tank though.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So found out today that the 55 is too small considering my current set up. The power went out in the building and I sat and watched as the water drained out of the DT and had about an inch to spare so one more thing to add to the list.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Great flood #2

So today when the power went out I returned to my classroom to make sure everything started up okay when the power returned and it did. That was the good part, but I also raise fish, various worms, beetles, and other critters for the districts k-5 science program and I noticed water flowing out the door across the hall and I thought boy the custodians are going to have fun with that since it seemed to be coming from their closet. Then I realized it was coming from my storage room that houses my 2 55 gallon guppy tanks and my 2 120 gallon platy tanks. Didn't know that a canister filter can split down the side but figured that out today as approximately 60 gallons of a 120 flowed out the side of it under the door and walls on two of the three sides of the room. I hope that none of it ended up in the counselors office she hates my bugs!