Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Craigar;664907 said:
Why you getting rid of the mp60s?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Not mp's,
wp's. I've got the Jebao pumps. I received a WAV single pump donation from CORAL and needed a 1Link to use it so I opted for the starter pack and now have 3 WAV pumps. I wanted something more reliable and controllable. I will continue using the Jebao pumps once I convert my 120 at home to saltwater.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
FTS from the side and a shot of surface turbulence caused by the new WAV pumps.

Mermaid Gardens

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tanks looking great!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
The new WAV pumps seemed a bit under powered for the tank so I put them on the library tank and put the MP60's on the back of the classroom tank. Thanks to the generosity of Ecotech I switched out their drivers to the quiet drive and that made a huge difference.
They a really pushing some flow even from the back of the tank.
So much so that my giant bubble tip nem that had been sitting in the center of the tank moved. I went in today and noticed the big guy is now two big guys. This is the first time it has split since it split back when I first introduced it and it was half dead.

Not the best pic but you get the idea.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Delayed post to some older ones. As far as random RTN... I dont know how closely you watch all parameters. (Keeping sps happy at the same time as softies etc can be tough (some have opposite problem their softies randomly die) For that reason alone I'd lean heavily LPS and softies that I think are exciting to most "noobs" to saltwater stuff. (Vs SPS are the expert aquired taste)

But with a school tank I'd be paranoid of just things in the air. Even if you make sure janitors dont clean your room. What if theres a temp janitor that doesn't know? What about when they wax floors and the like in the hall or anywhere. Unlike in a home, you have a bigger issue with air getting circulated all over the place. It's why with work we would almost use our gun before the pepper spray because we know thats going to end in having to decon and evac the building.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I am testing regularly now and making sure my numbers look good but I've given up on SPS. If I have any left when I'm able to set up a tank at home I will probably transfer them once things are established. I haven't lost any in a while but it seems random. Could be something in the air or from the kids I don't really know. My LPS, palys, and softies look great though. Someone recently suggested the size of my softies and leathers it could be chemicals they release damaging the SPS.

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
That is true, when the leathers get large they can release chemicals into the water which is toxic to SPS. It's kind of a territorial thing for them.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
At best the toxins stunt growth a bit and don't allow for good sexual reproduction. It will not kill them. In any case, if you skim or use GAC, then they will get taken out pretty quick. The toxins are non-ideal, not killers.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So my nem moved and split and I was worried my clowns would stop breeding but I was wrong.

The orange streak at the bottom of the pic is a fresh batch of eggs.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So I am not sure where I have gone wrong. The tank was looking great for so long. SPS grew like weeds for a couple of years so much so that I had dead spots in the tank because they were huge. Those went first. Then the easier things like montis went next. Now my huge hammer has melted in most areas and I am still not sure why. My calcium and alkalinity are really stable now due to having consistent flow through the reactor. Temperature no longer fluctuates. I thought it was alk swings that killed my SPS. I have never had problems with my other parameters except phosphates. I have been running GFO consistently and change it probably more than I need to and that is down to 0.05 at the highest checked with a Hanna checker and verified with a LaMotte kit. Now I have something that I have never had nitrates measuring in at 0.6 ppm. Not a lot but they are there. Is this enough to damage one hammer and not another? I am starting to think I need to reboot the tank. I just don't know what I am doing wrong and how to get back on track.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I am just not sure what I am doing wrong so I don't know what I would need to reboot. That would be one thing I would replace is the sand. Funny thing about my sand bed is that most of it has ended up in the rocks. I just know guys like Lemke seem to be rebuilding every time you turn around and he grows SPS like mad.