MuralReef 360 Classroom Tank

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Funny you should mention that. I had one of those in a tank years ago. It was really cool and probably about the same size that was described. I could never catch it but it never ate corals that I noticed.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Beautiful eel Mike!

Good to see the tank doing well too.
Thanks!

Just as everything has started to come back and thrive again it looks like I will be replacing the tank at the beginning of summer break. It looks like either way I go it will be a glass tank which after having not one but two acrylic tanks fail in various ways, I am ready for the change.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Replacing a tank that size....you’re going to have to give a lot of kids detentions to stock up on forced labor!

Is the tank swap going to be a club meeting? Any thoughts on whether this will be a marathon effort to swap out the old for the new in one day? Or a prolonged effort so that you can optimize the layout, sump, reconfigure some things?

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Mike, this move is going to take some time. I agree that’s it’s going to need to be a full hands on deck multi person effort! You may want to organize teams of us with specific jobs. (Livestock, equipment, tank, plumbing) Maybe take 2 days and have livestock in stock tanks? I’ll help this time!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I have not done a tank swap with a mature tank this huge. Last time there was far less coral and fish. I really need a solid plan moving forward! This is assuming that I can even get a tank built in time! What is the average wait time on a new tank?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I have a 150g rubbermaid you can use. Transfer most of it to that. Setup new tank, and then transfer back. I can help as needed ;)

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you have an apex on that tank, you can sign me up to program it to use every last muscle in the apex. Might even be a good learning experience for some of the older kids interested in STEM to learn some basic programming skills.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Mike let me know when you want to do the swap bro, I am def game for the cause!!! If we need to buy some 50gal rubbermaids to store water, mix water or whatever, I can help buy some as I always need rash cans for some reason lol.

We def can call a MASC gathering to make it happen. I def would pick JDA, Capp and Mikes brains on what the steps would/should be before hand but lets get it done!

If we need to reach out to Dave Marriot we can do that and pidaz to see if we can get a mega deal. Also maybe CORAL/Rob who could maybe pull strings with Marineland.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
CORAL and Rob is already helping out. I am so grateful that he has been there for me. I am also grateful for all of your offers to help out. I will definitely be calling in the troops when the time comes! I am constantly impressed by the generosity! I am currently waiting on a quote from Planet Aquariums and I have been in touch with Custom Aquariums. Custom has offered a discount. This time around it will be glass so that will make things slightly more challenging due to the added weight.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Here is my list of things that I want to have established prior making the move:
-Get new sand
-Get/Build a welded steel platform that has removable grates to put behind the tank to make it easy to access more of the tank
-Build an aluminum frame for the lights and keep but clean up the panels for the hood and base
-Build an acrylic insert for sand and mangroves for the sump
-Build an acrylic insert for the sump to hold filter socks and other media like polyfilters
-Build a water mixing station preferable to be placed under the tank for rodi and freshly mixed salt water

whyamisofly

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
CORAL and Rob is already helping out. I am so grateful that he has been there for me. I am also grateful for all of your offers to help out. I will definitely be calling in the troops when the time comes! I am constantly impressed by the generosity! I am currently waiting on a quote from Planet Aquariums and I have been in touch with Custom Aquariums. Custom has offered a discount. This time around it will be glass so that will make things slightly more challenging due to the added weight.
Custom Aquariums was phenomenal when I used them in the past!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If go and get a tank, it can be a fast process. Trucking is the slow part, IME. I have used Custom as well... nice company... I have no idea where they are located.

whyamisofly

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
If go and get a tank, it can be a fast process. Trucking is the slow part, IME. I have used Custom as well... nice company... I have no idea where they are located.
Wisconsin. I had them build me a tank when I lived there

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So a few updates on this tank. All is well, the seam that began separating in January has not progressed since I filled it with Weldon. The replacement has been ordered and is due in now at about 5-6 weeks. That will have it being delivered about June 22nd at the latest. New tank dimensions will be 48"x72"x30" deep. I plan on repositioning the tank further out from the wall so that I can get behind it. It will be heavy so I will need all hands on deck once I get the old system out and give the custodian an opportunity to clean the area.

I was also asked recently about where I got my sump. While it was not ordered new I was able to find a source for them. Here is the link to what seems to be the identical product. That is a lot more than I paid, but I got it used.
https://www.globalindustrial.com/g/...bulk/smooth-wall-bulk-containers-fda-approved

whyamisofly

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Who did you end up ordering through?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
We decided upon Planet Aquariums because of the glass thickness and the 1" PVC bottom. I really liked the customer service over at Custom, but Planet has a proven product.