my blue carpet anemone is getting some brown color on him..why?

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

jda123;250200 said:
Slow down. Get the lights changed. Watch your feeding and take measure in a week, or two. Only bad things happen fast in this hobby.

There is a whole lot more to know before you should be dosing any kind of carbon source.
Plus many more. Vodka dosing should be considered an advanced technique! Make 1 change at a time, lights, feeding and water changes. Wait a month or so, then decide if you need any other changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

+1. Only one change at time and never before leaving before Mexico. To many changes can crash a tank.

I'm curious about the "millions of male and female anemones that are everywhere" do you have a pic?

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member

freedominco;250221 said:
I'm curious about the "millions of male and female anemones that are everywhere" do you have a pic?
I was thinking the same thing. Aiptasia or mojanos?

Got it!! slow slow........patients is the key...i just love to and that's one of the things i read at 4 thus morning that i to be weired...vodka really?!...anyway about this anemone s...ya it was kinda chill cause art first it was just a few and they have straight tenicals then some that look like bubble tips appear almost like male and female...then they multiplied like crazy.butt what's cool is that they act just like anemones
do.they turn inside out filling up with water and lettinlg it all out.they
crawl around the tank on the glass too..they are not
I know what those look likei actually had one in my prescool tank and did lots of research on them on how to get rid of them
The aiptasias because i know what those look like

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: my blue carpet anemone is getting some brown color on him..why?

aliciaelledge;250270 said:
What makes you say this? How does/did it look?

well when I received this rather large flat rock,it was completely covered in green pulps and they just all dies off and all these baby anemones appeared all over the rock.My other corals are thriving and growing very nicely. when I read about these pesky anemones yesterday,someone said that they kill corals by stinging them...so I wondered if they died because of these anemones taking over...I originally thought they died because the guy I bought the items from also gave my a decorator crab.Not knowing that it was dangerous for my tank, I left him in there.I soon realized however that he was pinching the green pulps off the rock and sticking them to his back :mad: so I removed him .

so a quick update...I spent many hrs today with tweezers of different angles and pulled everyone of thos baby anemonies out that I could find...The ones that I only got part of ,I waited an hour then came back and they came back up and were very loose cause I injured them so I was able to pick them right off...Im obsessed with doing this now lol crazy but I researched and nobody said that I couldnt do it this way with these guys,only couldnt do it this way with the aptaisias do to poison being released . Hope it works...so far I see none anywhaere in the tank but if I do, I have plenty of dentist tools waiting to attack :D

kio707

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

only issue with that is they throw out spores when threatened. Meaning your going to have more.

I still agree with take things slow, however, Vodka dosing doesn't have to be that hard. Red Sea has a product out called NO3 PO4 X which is essentiall optimized vodka dosing. It has a mixture of methanol, ethanol (the good stuff in vodka), and acetone, along with some other stuff that will grow a bunch of large bacteria that use nitrate and phosphate in their formation that your skimmer will then pull out of the water column. When you buy it it comes with super simple directions as to how much to dose and one bottle lasts quite awhile.

kio707

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

Just gonna have more. Lemon juice, aptaisia x, and kalk paste keep the spores from going out.

David