My DIY Colorado wood stand.

Jscwerve

Cleaner Shrimp
Hello all!

New to this forum, but in my intro someone mentioned that you guys love DIY stuff. Figured I'd share this little piece of furniture I whipped up last weekend.

Couldn't have an open back stand as you can see from the room it is in, it can be seen from both sides. To convince the womanhead of having a display tank in the main living area, I had to promise her that there wouldn't be an eyesore of pipes and equipment.

Frame was made from #2 Douglas fir plain ol 2x4s. I was going to skin the whole thing in birch and build cabinet doors and stain it a grey color. While shopping for the lumber I came across this beetle kill pine and fell in love with how it looked. Plans changed instantly and I went with the beetle kill. Here is how it looked after the first afternoon of whipping it together. I say that because other than the dimensions of the tank, and the height I was instructed by the boss lady to build it, I built the entire thing with no written plans.

I didn't like the way the trim was coming together at around the top because this isn't the straightest lumber in the world, so I took it a different direction. I made the entire front detachable to be able to remove the sump and not have a middle brace causing me problems. The front face attaches with french cleats and isn't very heavy or awkward.

The final step is to put a good coat of clear poly on it when I get a day that isn't freezing in my garage.

After that I'll post up the work I'm currently doing on the tank.

Jscwerve

Cleaner Shrimp
SkyShark;367084 said:
Looks great! Nice idea with the French cleats. Was the wood you used tongue and groove?
Yup, at least on the long runs. Corners and trim are dimensional 1x2 and 1x4s.

It was fun to work with and went together like a charm.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Looks great and :welcome: