My Experiences at Various LFS around Westish side of Denver

So I felt like describing my experiences with the various fish stores I have been to in CO since each one has its own unique style that I find amusing. This is my experience and how the store made me feel. Please feel free to tag on to add any stores and your opinion on the stores I have been to.

Fish Den (Denver):
This was the first fish store I started to go to when I entered the hobby two years ago. They have a whole lot of equipment and tanks for sale. Though they do not have that much coral for sale. They seem to cater more towards freshwater fish. Though when asking for advice they would always suggest fish that would not be suitable in my tank resulting in a six linewrasse death and a dottyback. I don't go here anymore.

Aqua imports (Boulder):
Very similar to the fish den but they also have reptiles there too. Their staff is more friendly and willing to help. Though when asking for fish advice they suggested a puffer fish in my 10 gallon tank... Their prices on salt is better than petsmart. They also have a lot of coral for sell but a lot of them are very large pieces of coral so they are always to expensive more me.

Great White Aquatics (Fort Collins):
I would go here when visiting my girl friend to pass the time and look at their stalking. They have a lot of SW tanks and friendly people. I would be going there if I lived there.

Random fish/pet store in Loveland:
Grosses pet store I have ever been in could be in a horror movie.

Pet World (Lakewood):
Once again a friendly staff. They have all sort of pets. They are very knowledge about birds though when discussing lighting for my tank they had no idea what would be good. They have a small selection of fish and coral.

Elite Reef (Arvada):
This store is my favorite hands down. They have the best selection of coral and at the best price (for a LFS). I would defiantly check them. They are friendly teenagers who work the counter. The prices are fair. This is where I go mostly when I need something.

Catfish Charlie's (Lafayette):
This store has the best prices hands down though their live stock is very limited. Though he said he was planning to make a another tank for coral since sales are starting to pick. Though unlike Elite Reef having teenagers these people are very old. So when you ask for something it takes a while to get a response and they like to talk. I will be going back here again.

So this is my blurbs about each of these stores. Let me know what your experiences are.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Whose the Doctor;255602 said:
Random fish/pet store in Loveland:
Grosses pet store I have ever been in could be in a horror movie.
Thats Town and Country Pets. Very creepy place. If I had children I would not take them here :p

algaeman

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not easy to get to from Boulder, but you really ought to make the trip to Aquamart so you can add them on the list.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I went to Aimal Attraction in Greeley and the store had a lot of cool corals, fish, and other items for sale. They also sell reptiles and furry animals like guinee pigs and cats. I would not purchase anything here personally because I don't purchase anything from a store that sells dogs or cats. Why? Because the shelters are full of them and selling them in a store front only helps promote the puppy and kitten mills.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;255615 said:
private/by appointment only coral vendors that are within a short drive from Boulder.
Gonzo's coral frags in Greeley

and Ming blowing corals in denver are some good ones.

samindenver

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Check out Liquid Kingdom in Broomfield. Small store that has been there for years. Mostly manned by the owner and his daughter. Both are very knowledgable and friendly. Lots of corals and aquacultered fish. Prices are very good, and when you buy something, they always manage to throw in something for free. I've bought a number of corals and a beautiful tube anemone. I live in SE Denver but find it worthwhile to make the drive.

I second the votes for Aquamart, and Elite Reef too. And don't forget Aquatic Art in Highlands Ranch.

I think we are so lucky here in Denver to have so many great LFS to choose from. Most cities aren't as lucky as us. Of course with so many choices, I spend way to much on livestock and supplies. Oh well, I do like Top Ramen....

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hands down the best stores in the area for selection are Elite Reef, Aquatic Art (only open for retail Sat 11-6), Aquamart, and Neptune's. My personal faves for private sellers (non-brick & mortar locations) are Gonzo's (has a website), and Mindblowing Corals (also has website).

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 on Gonzo's

+1 on Animal Attraction, maybe it's just dumb luck but I've never gotten a sick fish there. Their supplier fully quarantines their fish and the prices are unbeatable. Plus you get to go to Gonzo's on the way back.