My first "BIG" Build

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Background: Scott Chase was my roommate back in 2005 and was my first introduction to both reefing and to MASC with the twin 300 gallon tanks he was keeping. Since then I've been keeping a mental plan for a big build but never wrote it down. My wife insists that if you don't write something down you won't do it so here's where I'm at, where I'm going, and everything in between.
Currently I have another build thread for all of my multiple tanks and small builds, here's their stats:
60 frag tank: 1x400w 10k XM halide, 2x48" actinic geissman t5s; 40 gallon sump w mainly refuge and macros, Graf tank currently houses mostly zoa frags, montipora, and a few lps.
30L IM Nuvo Fusion: rainbow nem tank w refuge and media tower (filter floss, charcoal, purigen, chemipure); 2x36" ATI t5 coral plus / blue plus.
55 gallon tank for salt mixing
20 gallon tank for rodi
2x40B for quarantine
2x10 for quarantine
75 gallon bow front

The goal is to build all of these towards a future "BIG" build, hence the start of this thread.

Current plans: we currently live in s duplex that had no more tank space, we plan on moving in 2 years back to the front range and buy a house with the space for a fish room and a 300 gallon display tank.
The build so far is following this path:
My 60 frag has mainly small frags of corals I'm intending to grow out so that when we move I can have colonies ready for the big tank instead of frag plugs.
The main dispay will be a 300 gallon tank lit by 2x250 Phoenix 14k (may change these to more bulbs or 400s) w caymen sun reflectors and lumatek ballasts. I've already got small quantities of tonga branch that I'm starting to cure now and will keep adding to this for the build. I'm planning on scaling it like a small shipwreck we found on my trip to the Bahamas I had taken when I got my Eagle Scout from BSA. It was pretty sick and I've got a ton of pictures (non digital yet) of the reef that had formed on the wreck that I'll be using for a guide when I aquascape.
Im not sure what order these will be but:
The 60 frag will be plumbed in as a sand flats tank for softies and macros to grow in. 400 watt light will stay with this one.
75 will be plumbed as a tide pool for more zoas and my anemones to grow as well as more macros to grow in. Planning on 2x150 halides but may change this to 250s
I'm planning on a 100 gallon tank for cryptic area w mainly pukani Rock.
The 55 will be setup as my rodi tank to auto top off due to the halides.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Onto the good stuff - CORALS:

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Reserved

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Reserve

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Reservoir

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Reserf

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
flyfish;362796 said:
That will be sweet,hurry up will ya
Haha...thanks Marc. Want to grow out some colonies first before I upgrade to the big one. How are your tanks doing by the way?