My first saltwater aquarium!! Biocube 29

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya wife had no idea what she got us into when she suggested I finally go saltwater. Frankly I had no idea either.
Scape looks good so far, thats alot of sand though. Planning on some burrowers? Or what is you stocking plan?
What kind of filtration you going with, sump, refugium, canister?

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cool. What's the egg crate structure for?
Do a google image search for "biocube 29" for a ton of great 'scape ideas.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 that is a alot of sand...
If you are going to have burrowers make sure your rocks sit on the bottom of your tank and are stable.
In my nano's i keep like about 1" in the tank that has no burrowers.
2" for the tank with my pistol shrimp....atleast that is how it started. He has piles up in the 4" range and other places with no sand on it at all.

I do know some people do deep sand beds, but I consider myself new to the hobby also and hopefully someone else can chime in about that.

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I didn't realize how much sand I had until the whole bag dumped way quicker than I was expecting.. I'm going to take some out the rock was stacked on the glass then sand added just in case I end up getting burrowers I haven't decided fully on stocking yet but I have some time while this baby cycles.

Egg crate is for filtration. I have read that the bioballs are "nitrate factories" so I got rid of them and in that chamber I'm running filter floss l, the chemipure and purigen. Still deciding whether or not to use some cheato but I'll need to put a light back there also have a little skimmer too. I

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

What kind of sand is in there?

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think it's gonna be sweet. We have some nice stuff at our store for you to fill it with! LOL

V
GWA

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;288764 said:
Egg crate is for filtration. I have read that the bioballs are "nitrate factories" so I got rid of them and in that chamber I'm running filter floss l, the chemipure and purigen. Still deciding whether or not to use some cheato but I'll need to put a light back there also have a little skimmer too. I

Look at "inTank" they make a tower refugium with 2 chambers for filter bags and a third for filter floss. Also make a refugium.

And the fuge

I also have a rapid led conversion in my hood if you ever want to check it out.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Only issue with the egg crate I see is the water will go around and out of the tower (path of least resistance) and not go through the filter bags as well. I'm not sure the price on the in tank unit but it is sealed, one path in one path out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
xjmav;288949 said:
Only issue with the egg crate I see is the water will go around and out of the tower (path of least resistance) and not go through the filter bags as well. I'm not sure the price on the in tank unit but it is sealed, one path in one path out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Good point!! Will reassess but the intank is pricey. Well see if this does the job or not

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think in tank is 50$ right now on mediabasket.com or similar

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks great so far, nice aquascape.

I like your scaping! Now the wait begins. What's your future stocking plan or what thing are you the most excited about adding?

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good_GReef;289407 said:
I like your scaping! Now the wait begins. What's your future stocking plan or what thing are you the most excited about adding?
Everything!!

I really don't know.. I like th the idea of corals over boring plants as in saltwater. I want to get comfortable with them researching the idea of Frogspawn but Im very preliminary stage. The whole idea of going to saltwater over freshwater again is the color range not only in plants/corals but fish colors!! I'm so excited!! I just am forcing myself to be patient and let this baby cycle properly! AHHHH THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!! lol

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know I need to wait for my tank to cycle but in the meantime I'm planning or trying to plan a cuc. What is all of your guys thought on cucs. Some say no hermits some say hermits but no other crabs... Too much info available that contradicts each other. So I'm going to base it off of this forums wisdom... What do you think would be good for my cube. And where to get them from