My first saltwater aquarium!! Biocube 29

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;316286 said:
Nice man!! I see another zoa freak in the making :lostit:
Oh lord...

zombie;316302 said:
Definately a good start. If it were me, I would take all of those zoas off the frag plugs and glue them to small rock chunks. Looks way more natural IMO. Ive got a whole bucket of broken up rock chunks if you want some.
+100

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Keep a very close eye on the blenny. The mandarin I got from there was the last fish I got before my MV outbreak, so its possible that it came from my mandarin and spread to their blenny/goby tank. He obly had it for a few days before I bought it, so youre probably fine, just watch for the signs closely just in case.

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;316356 said:
Keep a very close eye on the blenny. The mandarin I got from there was the last fish I got before my MV outbreak, so its possible that it came from my mandarin and spread to their blenny/goby tank. He obly had it for a few days before I bought it, so youre probably fine, just watch for the signs closely just in case.
Will do I think he said he had this guy for over a month

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well I had increased hair algae growth more than I had seen in a while and one of my corals looked bad and subsequently melted (of course my favorite one ) so I decided to test my water which I hadn't done in a while (facepalm). Ammonia none nitrite and trates none cool great ph 8.2 cool alk 4?!?! 4 grr there's my problem. I have thrive alkalinity in the mail right now wishing it was here. Oh well... I have decided I am going to force myself to test alk and cal every other day and dose according... I will also force myself to test everything periodically so I can learn my system better.

Chad if you read this I'd like to buy another seduction from you when I get my alk all stabilized .

Calc was 300 little low
Oh and my phosphates were 0.1-0.2 I would have put my money on this being the problem but you definitely don't know if you don't test

Last edited by a moderator:

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Try kalk in your top off water at 1/2 tsp per gallon. That should maintain your alk and calcium between waterchanges once you get it back in the right range woth 2 part.

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So apparently I don't know how to read units. I was looking up info on advanced aquarist and noticed they had both meq and dkh for alk (doh!) sure enough my test kit reads in meq/l not dkh. So my alk is 4 meq/) or 11.3 dkh.... So back to phosphates being the problem. How do you guys control phosphates. I run gfo and cheato.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya when I had a lawnmower, the pumps was his favorite place to perch even when they were on. Always had to watch when I would shut the pumps back off to make sure he wasnt in it when they came back on. Got him once when they turned on and shot him across the tank, luckily he was no worse for the wear

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Left the town for a few days... Dad forgot to feed the tank... Randall goby died :( poor goby :( phosphates out of control. Changed to run only gfo in my reactor. Took out egg crate rack. Building my own version of intank media rack and fuge to have no egg crate in the tank.
I'm pretty sure phosphates are from my rock since it was dry. But taking out the egg crate just in case. I may build an acrylic frag rack with my media rack well see how it goes.

Mermaid Gardens

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wo you're pretty good with all your DIY projects.

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;296498 said:
A Well had a little mini tank crash this week. It's slowly recovering I'm hopeful that most of my few corals will make it others don't look good couple are definitely gone. This post is mostly for new people to hopefully learn from my mistakes and some things that I think I did well. We'll here we go
Possible causes
1. Although I took my time with fish I went crazy with corals. I added a bunch in a short amount of time. I didn't allow time for my tank to adjust to the new loads of coral and such. (most likely problem)
2. My water temp got down into the 76 range. More about this later
3. I vacuumed most of my sand. Coming from well established freshwater aquariums I always vacuumed all the messy stuff, but with this being a new aquarium I bet I sucked all my good bacteria right out of my tank.
4. I left the heater and skimmer unplugged!?! Who does that. When I unplugged them in the first place I guess I pulled out the 3 to 1 plug at the same time, and when I plugged the stuff back into it itself wasn't in the power strip. CHECK DOUBLE CHECK THEN CHECK AGAIN WHEN YOU PLUG AND UNPLUG THINGS. Luckily I realized relatively short amount of time but I'm sure that didn't help anything.
5. Test your water. Get a decent test kit the api one may be the cheapest but it has been giving me false readings.

The good
1. I had water heated and ready on hand to do a water change.
2. I used this forum! This place is full of kind helpful and amazing people who will step in and help when they can even if you've only talked to them for 5 minutes at a meeting or not even at all! There's a wealth of knowledge here use it.
3. Although it sucks losing what you've been working on and have been taking a lot of pride in don't be discouraged. Everyone has problems! Everyone makes mistakes but the important thing is that you don't make those mistakes again but make new mistakes!

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO GAVE ADVICE AND HELPED ME THROUGH THIS!! I SINCERELY APPRECIATE IT.

Take it slow on everything you do!

"the more slowly you can stand, and that's probably almost slow enough!" - Cindy
Very well stated! Im so sorry to hear about the crash, but its good to see the perseverance and glad you got some help. Nice looking tanks btw!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Nice, those are great additions to the tank. Glad to see you are getting the tank turned around and lookin good again.