Named/LE Corals

Named/LE Corals

• Yes, and I don't mind paying $$$ per Polyp!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, Color and a Fair Price are more important!

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
the only reason i like the "named" corals is so that i don't have to remember/pronounce scientific names ....lol
a nice coral is nice regardless of what you call it

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;84707 said:
$20 for a 5-6 polyp frag would be a start...
i was gonna say i didn't see those in the pics but lets try to limit ourselves to on sponsor a day ...lol

Oceans

Cleaner Shrimp
I think this hobby requires passion and passionate people. If somebody is excited about a new zoa I think its great. I dont really understand why anybody needs to say its wrong.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
So a thought just came to me. What if corals went the way of some retail items, where the manufacturer (harvester) set the price, and to be able to resell them, you couldn't go under that MSRP. This is pretty common in retail, so why not in our hobby?

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;84602 said:
Reminds me...What's with the Dracula goby? Why is this guy so expensive?
Check the collection depths, range, distribution...
Dracula Goby-$130
http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=4308
15-37m 49-121ft commonly 20m+ 65ft

Hi Fin Red Banded Goby-$15
http://www.fishbase.org/summary/speciessummary.php?id=4312
15-25m 49-82ft

that0neguy1126;84750 said:
So a thought just came to me. What if corals went the way of some retail items, where the manufacturer (harvester) set the price, and to be able to resell them, you couldn't go under that MSRP. This is pretty common in retail, so why not in our hobby?
There are no industry standards in the aquarium(especially livestock) industry. Try to set up a wholesale account with Tucker Rocky or Parts Unlimited or any other part distributor for the motorcycle industry. You have to have a specific store front with a parts counter, parts department(storage) and minimum purchase budget, along with the typical Tax ID and Business License. To get a Yamaha dealer contract, you have to have a building to dedicate solely to Yamaha and a multimillion dollar buy in budget. Anyone with Yamaha and other manufacturers in the same building is grandfathered from before the 1990's(Not sure when that actually happened).

Back to this hobby. I can walk into any wholesaler in the country and 99% of them will sell to me if I have cash in hand. It helps that I know a lot of them, but It's not all that difficult even if you don't.

Sounds like a bunch of crying pansies. Any goods or service at a higher quality demand a higher price. Period. If over priced, the good or service will no longer be in demand bringing the price down to where it can be sold. This is no different then any other goods or services. When names are put on corals by individuals to help sell better, thats just good marketing. I wish I didn't have to pay so much for coral and I wish I didn't have to pay taxes and I wish everyone that made more money then me would give me some and I wish I was Mormon so I could have 10 hot wives and I wish I liked tomatoes so I wouldn't have to pick them off hamburgers every time.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm all for the free market. Get as much as the market will bear. But, calling people crying pansies because they want to
voice their opinion about a merchant that is charging an outrageous price, in their opinion, isn't really justified. We are the
customer, they are the merchant. If we don't like the prices of that merchant, we go elsewhere. That doesn't mean that
we shouldn't give our opinion about that merchant's prices. JD Powers makes a living by gathering customer feedback. If
it's ok for the merchant to perform his "good marketing", then it's just as valid for us to perform feedback about his "good
marketing".

I agree. But this is about any one putting a name on a coral. Not just one merchant. I liked Jakes article on sexy corals. They are extreme, and for it they get called out and they won't last long if they keep it up. But most of the high end named corals are set at market price.
Zooid;85010 said:
I'm all for the free market. Get as much as the market will bear. But, calling people crying pansies because they want to
voice their opinion about a merchant that is charging an outrageous price, in their opinion, isn't really justified. We are the
customer, they are the merchant. If we don't like the prices of that merchant, we go elsewhere. That doesn't mean that
we shouldn't give our opinion about that merchant's prices. JD Powers makes a living by gathering customer feedback. If
it's ok for the merchant to perform his "good marketing", then it's just as valid for us to perform feedback about his "good
marketing".

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
mdrumm;85034 said:
supply and demand...

If people are willing to pay the high prices, vendors will charge the high prices.
Right?
Mutt, or purebred with papers?
Toyota or BMW?
Shane co. or Tiffany's?
How much $ you got?
At least those items have the price right on em.
It just awsome going to a show and seeing vendors size up customers like-- "could you turn around please, I didn't see how fat your wallet was"
I have seen vendors give 3 different prices to 3 different people in 5 min.
Hell, at the last show I was given a different price 2 times by one guy who didn't remember me, and it wasn't lower/ later.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
BTW, I have never seen Tyree, or Fox, or anybody hype anything, they have premium coral that people are willing to pay top dollar for.
The only real hype I have seen was the hornets, all the other stuff is just badazz, so people fight over it, you say there is a lot of coral, I say there is not enough of any one species to fill the demand placed on the flavor of the week, there might be a ton of xenia, but thats because its been popular for so long, and easy to grow, all the zoas will be the same soon, look at the price of PH305

gh0st

Cleaner Shrimp
If we had five or six polyp frags of the SM's, I probably would sell them for $20.

Had to start out with one polyp, now up to about 5+, now that it's growing faster with more polyps to work with, hopefully it won't be long. Also kicking around the idea of using a polyp or so as a prize at the next swap or putting it into DBTC if we do have a DBTC chain meeting at the store.

There are several "high end", what ever that supposedly means, polyps formerly known as something or others, in the same boat that I think are alot prettier. Guess how much they'll likely go for once we have enough for a decent sized frag when the time comes?

But since we had to start with micro frags, it's going to take a little longer.

Like I said, I get the fair market thing to a point. But if you went to the grocery store, and all the food was super low grade, suitable for prison use only, and all the good food cost $500 for a nice looking apple, pack of sandwich meat, or can of Pepsi, because some guy bought it all up at the warehouse an called it Bob's LE Food, everybody would be up in arms over the insane price gouging.

gh0st;85063 said:
But if you went to the grocery store, and all the food was super low grade, suitable for prison use only.
How would I know? I shop at walmart and get my frags from the 5 - 20$ bin. There are options