Need help connecting second EB8 to base for second tank.

JoshHill83

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I've finally got my 250 FOWLR up and running in my basement. I have an Apex on my 90 reef tank upstairs and I want to connect a couple EB8s to my main unit upstairs. I bought a 100' USB extension cable, but my base unit won't recognize the second EB8. Any ideas as to what I may be doing wrong? Anyone know if I need a special cable to connect these?

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think you have to get the cable from apex

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Correct it's "special" cable. on their website or forum they have a website they recommend to make custom cables

Last edited by a moderator:

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I honestly don't think there's anything special you need for the cable...I'd looked into this in the past for hooking up an EB8 in another room. Pretty sure the USB should work since the info I read indicated you just need a male to male USB with no amplifiers or repeaters in the line.

Is there a repeater on there for PC connections? If so that may be the problem. The APEX is supposed to be OK up to 200' of cable so you should be OK with the right cable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be something as simple as splicing the wires to make it crossover instead of a straight passthrough, I'm no apex guy just a thought I had while reading this

samindenver

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
There's nothing special about Apex cables. If it's not working, there may be something wrong with the cable but more likely the run is too long and the signal is getting lost. Longest I've tried running is 25' using a cheap Amazon cable and it works fine between 2 tanks. I'd suggest you look for suggestions on the Neptune user forum.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
DO NOT get a cheapo amazon cable. Regular usb cables are designed for 5V and runs for less than 50 ft. Aquabus uses 12V. If you want a cable that will actually work and wont catch fire, get one from this place. http://www.usbfirewire.com/

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Onve you get a proper cable, let me know if youre still having problems. Im not too far from arvada and I could just stop on over and help you troubleshoot it.

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
From what I researched, just as jahmic stated, if it has a repeater it wont work. I think the long cables are likely to have repeaters as thats what they are intended for, to "boost" the signal in long runs. They are also termed active vs passive cables.

Although i could not test my findings as i could never find a long usb cable with the correct ends locally. So i just ordered apex cables.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Even if it has repeaters, DONT use USB cables you will fry things. The apex auto-bus cables look like USB cables but that is were the similarities end. Only use proper APEX autobus cables or else, as BRStv put it, you may end up seeing the evil smoke monster.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;326581 said:
Even if it has repeaters, DONT use USB cables you will fry things. The apex auto-bus cables look like USB cables but that is were the similarities end. Only use proper APEX autobus cables or else, as BRStv put it, you may end up seeing the evil smoke monster.
interesting...never knew about the voltage issue...that's good to know.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;326584 said:
interesting...never knew about the voltage issue...that's good to know.
It has caused some pretty unhappy customers on the Neptune forums. There are many high quality standard USB cables that have "beefed up" insulation that can handle the extra voltage no problem and many of these can be made in long length without repeaters by designing the cable to minimize the cable capacitance (this is the limiting factor in transmit length). The link I sent is one company that designed cables specifically for the aquabus that meet these requirements. There are others that could work, but that is the only company that has done testing for that specific application. Cheapo amazon cables will definately not meet those requirements.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The link you posted was one that I came across a while back...think I found the source on RC in a thread but never knew there was a solid reason they were preferred over other options. Figured it was a reliability issue for signal loss...but didn't know there was a fire risk. That's pretty significant.

JoshHill83

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Alright, bought a 75' cable specifically made for the apex, but have no idea or experience running cables from first floor to my basement. My basement is unfinished and I am running the cable from an exterior wall to my basement. I have two EB8's that I want to hook up to my FOWLR tank. If anyone knows how to run or fish the cables to my basement I will be extremely generous with frags or anemones from my frag g tank. The basement is 1400 sq ft so I don't think the cable is overkill for those of you that were ready to "coach" me on cable length. Anyways, looking forward to anyone who can help.

Josh

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I could probably help you out next weekend, if someone closer doesn't have the skill...