Need help moving a 270lb 5' x 2' tank from garage into house

Octopi

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I tried contacting a couple movers on Craigslist but no responses yet. Does anyone have recommendations on how to get help moving a tank? I am in Arvada. This is the display tank for a Red Sea Reefer XL 525 and has to get moved up a half stair from garage into the house and onto the stand. Also, what is the going rate for something like this?

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
usually if you post here looking for help you will find enough people that are willing to help I may be able to help when did you want to do this?

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'm a bit far but the going rate is usually a couple beers. Just post up and give a time and surely a few people can help. Maybe get a couple suction cup things from harbor freight. They are really helpful.

Octopi

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Very generous offer. The stand is all setup so it is ready to go as soon as I can arrange the assistance. If we did this tomorrow at 11am would that work? I will be running to hardware store to get some glass suction grabbers and maybe some sort of straps.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Octopi;641042 said:
Very generous offer. The stand is all setup so it is ready to go as soon as I can arrange the assistance. If we did this tomorrow at 11am would that work? I will be running to hardware store to get some glass suction grabbers and maybe some sort of straps.
Go to Harbor Freight for the suction cups you can get a pair for like $6-7.

Octopi

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
How about 3pm? I live near 86th and Indiana in the Village of Five Parks neighborhood.

The suction cups at Harbor Freight were pretty wimpy small ones. I had an issue when helping to move in my granite countertops and those were far larger than the ones Harbor sells. Instead, I picked up two of the 6' lifting slings that have loops on each end making it easy to hold onto. I think if we put them both under the tank and had 4 people total (3 + me) then we could each grab an end and make it relatively easy (around 70 lb load each).

While you are here, you can make fun of how much I overspent on all my equipment :). This is a big upgrade from 30g all-in-one system so advice will be welcomed. If you can do 3pm, PM me and I will send exact address.

Octopi

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thank you. I have confirmed with 2 people. If we get a 3rd than it should be really quick. Also, I moved the tank onto wheels so we could roll it around to front of house to avoid having to go up the garage stairs. Should be quick...maybe.

Octopi

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
A big thanks to Josh, Ric and Carlos. For those of you with a Reefer XL 525 or similar (5' x 2' 270lbs), moving with 4 people is perfect. We used two 6' straps with looped ends I got from Harbor Freight and each person grabbed an end.