Need invert ID

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Any idea what this is? Good or bad? I have cerith, astrea, and trochus snails in the tank...dunno where this guy came from.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wicked Demon;165983 said:
If it has a radial shell, its not a stomatella
I had to look again to make sure...that second picture did make it seem like it has a radial shell.

The shell looks more fingernail shaped, almost like half of a mussel shell. It does have a "bulge" toward the front on one side, but after pulling up a few photos online, the structure does look consistent with a stomatella.

I've only caught him grazing on algae; I'll pull him out of the tank next time I see him and try to get a better photo.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hmmm, it didn't appear to be a bivalve by the way it moved around. At first I thought it was some type of slug or flatworm until I got the light out and could actually see it's shell..looks more like a gastropod (slug) with a thing shell just behind its head. It also had tentacles/feelers sticking out of the sides of the shell in addition to the pair at the head, which you can sort of see in the first pic.

I should've been less lazy last night and just pulled it out of the tank to confirm an ID...he was in a precarious spot below a birdsnest frag...and right above my duncan. Pretty sure he would've ended up being duncan food if I tried yanking him off the rock yesterday.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Caught him today with my forceps...definitely a stomatella. I was about to take a pic while holding him in the tank...but my grip slipped of his shell. Apparently he didn't like when the forceps hit his tail...because it let go if it like a gecko!

Felt so bad...but he's crawling around eating, and my duncan took advantage of a free snack.