Skimmer Recommendation

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I have decided the Ice Cap K2-50 just isn't gonna cut it for my new 65 gallon with 26 gallon sump. I am looking to get a different one (preferably under $300) that will get me the most horsepower for my available footprint. My sump can accommodate up to a 8.25 × 10 in footprint though there is a lip 14" up that tightens those dimensions a half inch (shouldn't have an effect, but certain shaped could be limited by it).

A few I have found that will fit the footprint are a Skimz SN143, Bubble Magus curve 5 or 7, icecap K2-160, Reef Octopus S-130. The Bubble Magus is by far the cheapest option at only $220 for the curve 7 from Amazon.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I love my octopus 110int
What size tank and how heavily stocked? I'm worried that one won't cut it since I plan to be SPS dominant in this tank.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Look at the eshopps line up the X-160 would be awesome I love my X-220
I looked at that one. Has a lot of bad reviews particularly because apparently the adjustment valve floats and falls out anytime sump water level raises a few inches. I turn my return off for feedings, so that's a dealbreaker.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
About 50 maybe more gallons. I feed stupid heavy but run zeovit. It pulls a full cup every 3 weeks. And it’s set to the dry side.

Robbiekrause33

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I looked at that one. Has a lot of bad reviews particularly because apparently the adjustment valve floats and falls out anytime sump water level raises a few inches. I turn my return off for feedings, so that's a dealbreaker.
I’ve never had the adjustment fall out and I flooded my sump on purpose just to see. But I run my skimmer on a timer from 4:45-5:30 it shuts off I’ve never had an issue

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I ended up getting the bubble Magnus curve 5. The reviews are that were exceptional and I found one on eBay that can show up in a few days for only $175 including shipping. From what I've seen a lot of people have great luck with that on a heavily stocked 120 gallon so it should be overkill for my 65.

If the pump ever fails, I can get a Sicce PSK-200, which fits exactly to make it an even better skimmer.