Need to polish acrylic tank

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Just picked up a 120 gal acrylic corner tank and would like to get it polsihed before setting up. Anyone knows who does that service professionally? And how much it could cost me? I am a new member here so if there's already a topic that covers my questions please point me in the right directions. Thanks!!

ailachami

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
how deep are the scratches? I've used novus 1-3 with great result. just buy a random orbit polisher and buffed it out.

Where are you located? I just picked up a bottle of novus and a polisher for my new acrylic tank. I could probably help you out if you are close enough.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Does is it need a full polish or just a buff job.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Hi All, thanks for the advice and offers to help out! Totally unexpected! I think it needs a full on polish, at least on the front. Never had to take care of acrylic tank before so it may be not as bad as I think. My understanding that it's really time consuming and that I don't have much of. Again may be totally wrong here.
To Reefer Addict: I am in highlands ranch

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you were up north I would teach you how to do it. I did my 90 and it took about two full days to polish and buff.

SAZAMA

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
novus sucks, just go to the plastic shop behind keys island and buy all the wet sand paper you need I think it was around 50$ I did it and it was easy.

I did a combination of both. I initially tried just Novus but it wasn't aggressive enough although my tank was not as bad as some I have seen. I started with 1000 grit and worked my way up to 2500. I then used Novus 3 and 2. It looked like new when done.

Honestly the results you get are based on the time you want to put into it. You ultimately have that call.

As for getting someone to do it, good luck as the time for a really high quality job can be cost prohibitive. I recommend you do it yourself even if it takes a little longer with the time you have available.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
So finally got a coupe of estimates... $150 was the lowest. Going to have to roll up the sleeves when I get some time. Thanks for the input everyone!

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SAZAMA;163868 said:
novus sucks, just go to the plastic shop behind keys island and buy all the wet sand paper you need I think it was around 50$ I did it and it was easy.
Novus is only good for buffing out haze from polishing.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I got a couple of pics on my iPhone but not sure on how to upload them from it. Will do that on the PC when I get home tonight. It's definetly a "before" picture. So I have pretty high hopes for it when everything is set and done!

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
So here it is the "before" pic of the tank. Now i just need to find time to start on this project. Should be fun!
[attachment=61565:name]

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
wow that looks brand new! can you rent that tool anywhere? did you use any sandpaper at all or any polishing compound? Sorry for all the questions but i am completly clueless with the acrylic

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I picked at this tank from the guy in Westminster. he was getting out of the hobby and had this tank sitting in the garage for a while