Nem Change observations

Just throwing out my experience with nem color change. I got this nem back a year and 9 months ago from Charlie. It was a bout twice as big and more of a standard rainbow color, very rich and darker in color. When I moved it to my mixed reef tank 1 year and six months ago it hid under a rock and shrank and lost a lot of color. It came back out very hungry and sat in the same place ever since. Once it recovered it had the purple dots on the tips and has usually been just a slight variation of the rainbow. Recently I have been keeping just the leds on from the led/t5 combo, to try to eliminate some algae (as pictured in the first picture below). It wasn't looking the same so I ran just the t5's and noticed that it looks different to me, more different in the last 2 months and has taken on a slightly different variation of the rainbow color, maybe more orange/yellowish, definatly as vibrant as a sunburst (second pic, t5's only). Its funny because this guy has split in the past and in its new tank with halides it tripled in size and looked more standard rainbow color. Ill post some original pics when I get them off the other comp for comparison. Pics were taken with the iphone 5s.

View attachment 21652 View attachment 21653

That was supposed to say definitely NOT as vibrant as a sunburst, as in no where as close. It's still a rainbow but has a orangey hue to it. The second pic is pretty spot on color wise, as best as a photo on a phone can do I guess. Do you guys think this is just from the lights, or can the mixed reef corals lend a hand in this?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
There is a lot of studies that show that it is spectrum and intensity. Nems that tend to all "look the same" in a tank is not because they swap zoo, but because the spectrum is limited and brings out limited colors in each. More spectrum, more colors. More intensity, more colors. I can totally believe that it looks different under T5 than under just under the LED.

Cool! That sounds just like plants and chlorophyll, guess I have a decent enough spectrum :) Yeah usually things look flashier under the led, glad that not everything is like that.