Neptune WAV

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anyone have a set -- I have a set on the way!

Starting this thread for info/conversations.

Going to augment my Gyre 150 + MP40Wes (converting to QD shortly) on my SPS-dominated 150XH.

Adam

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't have a set myself (declined the beta when I thought I was out for good, and they are overkill for my biocube), but I know the ins an outs very well if you can't figure out how to do something.

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks! They arrive today and I get home tomorrow night. I'll be getting them installed ASAP!

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'll be watching your feedback closely. I'm thinking of getting two of these rather than or in addition to my gyre

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
They are very quiet. Easily several decibels quieter than a mp40qd

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, they're up and running with mostly the default configuration. One on the back right-side of the tank angled forward, left, and down. The other is on the left side near the corner overflow aimed approximately at the center of the front glass.

They are RIDICULOUSLY quiet. I also as part of this flow revamp bought the QD driver to convert my MP40. I can easily hear the QD over the WAVs even with the WAVs running at 100% power. Quite impressed thus far.

Super easy to set up, flow is running and moving nicely. I'll be learning more and tweaking/tuning over the next few days as well as tuning the MP40.

Flow in my 150XH consists of:

Gyre 150 vertical to push water along the back.
MP40QD (horizontal flow across the tank but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it now...)
2X WAVs in the config above.

Things are definitely moving around lately and I've relocated some sand. My goal here is to do some better suspension and potentially remove algae-causing detritus and avoid adding a sea hare.

More to come...

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
That's a lot of water moving around a tank that size. I bet you have no dead spots with all the different flow patterns you can create. I am thinking just the two wav pumps in my 5 foot 175. I do have a gyre currently but may sell. Any pics?

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
No pics yet -- I have a bryopsis problem Cris from AA is helping me solve with some Tech M. Tank got its first dose tonight and will be dosed until the damned algae is gone!

Once we're algae-free, I'll take some pics.

The WXM showed up today so with the exception of the gyre, everything is controlled. The Gyre sits vertically and pushes water along the back glass behind the rock work so there's still a pretty good job for it to do...

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You could always get an ice cap interface and then everything will be apex controlled.

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
What is this interface of which you speak? I haven't spent nearly enough money on APEX lately...

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks! I'll think about it. I'm not sure it's worth $150 to me (incl. shipping.)

I have:
Apex Gold
Extra PM1 for DT Temp
EB4
EB8
DOS
DDR
WXM
LSM
2 WAV

Love every bit of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I'm happy with the wav but unsurprisingly, throwing money at an algae problem did not solve it. 2 gallons of TechM later, it's started to slow down.

Then I go down to the basement equipment room and notice that the skimmer isn't making any bubbles. It's normally on a quarterly service interval (due next week) but the air intake is clogged with salt creep. It hasn't been working properly (read: at all) since we left for vacation on the 19th although it was operating when we left.

I'm going to move it to a 2-month service schedule to keep it running. Since last night, it's sucked out 2 full skimmer cups of gunk. I'm betting my bryopsis problem will be better soon.