Nerites hattched?

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
So as I am breaking down my old 40gal. I have found a bunch of what seem to be baby Nerites. Haven't bought snails in quite a long time, or anything new for that reason. So far I have found about 20 this size. the shell is maybe 1.5 mm. they range from about .5mm to 2mm.

nerite by that0neguy1126, on Flickr

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yep, they are all still alive, moved them into the sump on the new tank.

There was no question, not sure why i added a ? in the subject, but can't edit it now

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
It weird, because I think everyone has seen nerite eggs on the tank walls (little white ovals), but I don't think they ever live unless you are trying to breed them. The tank they were in was a mess, I haven't looked at it in months. I think I pulled about 10lbs of hair algae from it this weekend. God only knows what the parameters were at.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mine live, i have 2 adults and many baby nerites cruising my tank that hatched in my tank. Still very cool for you to find them!

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
collinista snails

that0neguy1126;119649 said:
Yep, they are all still alive, moved them into the sump on the new tank.

There was no question, not sure why i added a ? in the subject, but can't edit it now
you can edit if you click go advanced next to save

Last edited by a moderator:

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes collinista snails not likely Nerite.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
chrislorentz;119920 said:
Yes collinista snails not likely Nerite.
interesting, They were sold and given to me as Caribbean nerites, and they match the pictures. Looking at the babies though, they both look very similar. Any easy way to tell the difference?

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
From Reef Keeping .com

Collonista are "mini-Turbo snails." They are seldom purchased by hobbyists, but are relatively common in reef tanks anyway, because they appear to hitchhike in on live rock or in some live sand. When hobbyists first see them, they presume them to be "baby" grazers of some sort. Instead, they have some of these animals. They reach a maximum adult size of about 1/4th inch (6 mm) in height and diameter. They are often tan to white and have mottled brown color patterns on the shell. They can be distinguished from all other Trochoideans by their small size and the presence of a small pit or hole in the center of the calcareous operculum that plugs the aperture. They reproduce well in aquaria, and are quite good grazers. If present in large numbers, they may effectively replace all other grazers in our systems.

Figure 10. Collonista. These small Trochoideans are distinguished by their minute size and
by the small pit in the center of their operculum.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes always something to learn in this money pit of ours