New 40 gallon breeder tank build starting soon...

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hello everyone. I am starting to begin my new tank build. I am upgrading from a 17 gallon nano that has no pump, refugium protein skimmer or sump. Just use live rock and sand for filtration.

I picked up a 40g breeder and a 20 g long and I just got my dry BRS reef saver rock in. I know it will be a while before the tank is ready, but I am excited. Here is the plan so far...

I will be drilling the 40 to put in a 700 GPH overflow and am not sure yet if I will do a single drain with 1 1/2" PVC or go with a herbie style overflow using 1" for the syphon and a 1" for the emergency drain. I will be using an EcoPlus 633 GPH pump for my return with 1" PVC. The 20 long will be used simply as a refugium with a return pump. I am not planning on using a protein skimmer but may add one later if I feel it is necessary. If I do add the protein skimmer, I am looking at the SeaClone skimmer which is rated to 100 gallons and will sit next to the fuge, not in it. I will be using my existing Kessil 350w to light the tank but may upgrade the light later. I will also be transferring over my existing 20# of live sand and 25# of live rock plus I just received 30# of BRS dry reef saver rock and 5# of BRS dry rubble. I still need to get a few things for the tank. I am planning on getting 2 mp10's and I still need a stand. Here is my potential stock list though it keeps changing because I am trying to get only tank bred fish and I am having trouble finding some of them for sale.
1- A. Ocellaris B&W clown (already have from ORA)
1- A. Ocellaris B&W snowflake clown (possibly ORA maybe locally if I can find one)
1- Pajama Carsinalfish (already have from ORA)
1- Mandarin fish (Haven't decided between red or green but leaning towards red from ORA)
1- Horned Blenny ( has been successfully tank bred but can't find one for sale)
1- pink speckled shrimp goby with a pistol shrimp (not sure yet which shrimp)
1- wrasse- I haven't been able to find any that are tank bred so I may need to find another option.

I do plan on having a Pom Pom crab, Porcelain crab, a starfish, and a clam as well.
This will be a mixed reef.

so, that's the start, here is a picture of the stuff I got in today from BRS. Any tips or suggestions are always welcome. Thanks.

View attachment 14717 View attachment 14718

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Re: New 40 gallon breeder tank build starting soon...

Nice choice on rock, I like the pieces you got too. Did you find a stand yet?

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks CRW. I like the rocks too but I plan on breaking some to make them a little smaller. I would like to be able to build in some caves.

Still looking for a stand. I thought I was going to get one through trade but that fell through.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Still searching for a stand. I may still do the trade, but just for the mp-10's. I may be moving again soon cuz my apartment complex is bogus. So, I may need to wait until after the move before I add water. Hopefully I can find a stand soon. I was hoping to get one under $100 so I may need to build it myself. Unfortunately I don't have the tools.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tri Color Fairy Wrasse would be a good wrasse for a 40g. But you are correct that there are no commercially aquacultured wrasses at this point.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;258795 said:
Tri Color Fairy Wrasse would be a good wrasse for a 40g. But you are correct that there are no commercially aquacultured wrasses at this point.
Would you have another recommendation for a fish that would eat unwanted pests like the wrasse does that I can see if I can find captive bred?

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Aiptasia eating filefish is the only 1 I can think of but if you want clams its not reef safe. Wrasses are the best pest eater.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow sweet! Thanks. Don't know if that yellow Coris will work in a 40 though. The site states 50 gallon minimum tank size. Now I know the 40 breeder is closer to 47gallons but still... I will keep researching. Thanks again Seth!

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That number is completely arbitrary for tank size. For a full size yellow coris wrasse sure 50g minimum. But it take many years for a yellow coris wrasse to get to the full 5 in. They normally come in at about 1.5 in - 2 in. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/Wrasses/YellowCoris.php says 30g minimum. http://www.exoticfishcheap.com/product.php?id_product=254 says 30g. live aquaria and blue zoo say 50g. Saltwaterfish.com says 20g.http://www.freshmarine.com/golden-coris-wrasse.html says 30g. Completely arbitrary.

A rule of thumb for mid size tanks 30-75g
Display tank size /15 = max fish size

Thats what I follow as a general rule. But I need to incorporate tank length and width into that as well.

so as long as you get a yellow coris wrasse smaller than 3 in your fine.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ya, I guess so. Lol! Well, I noticed it is a tank raised wrasse too, not captive bred. So, I may need to keep looking. Thanks for the info though.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here is the stand. I picked it up this weekend at a thrift store for $16. I will be sanding and painting it black. I will have to add a top sheet measuring 27"x17" because the stand is only 26"x18".

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;259712 said:
Is a 40breeder 36long x18wide x 17tall?
i think ur right CRW.. i know its at least 36x18... maybe he typod and meant adding a sheet 37x17 so the weight load is on the glass?

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
sorry, I meant 36

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
and yes 37x19 for top sheet

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
sorry, lol. I was doing too many things at once.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
So, I've been really busy and no money to work on my build. I just got a new job that starts in a few weeks and I will be moving soon. Don't know exactly where but hoping for Evergreen and hopefully by either May 1st or June 1st. That being said, I thought I would get some items to get the 40 ready to start after we move. I just ordered an Aquatic Life T5 36" 2 bulb light (one blue, one purple) to supplement my Kessil 350w. I also ordered a Reef Octopus xp1000 ss protein skimmer, a Sicce 3.0 return pump, and an MP10w. I still need to order my glass holes overflow, drill the tank, paint the stand, and build the sump. The stand is sanded, just need a nice warm day and no other work to do so I can finish it.