New 40 gallon breeder tank build starting soon...

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got my Apex with lab grade probes today. Yay! Super stoked! Now I just need to install it and get it figured out. I still need to get these items though...

- wxm module (for mp10)
- leak detection module
- 1 or more leak detection plrobes
- breakout box
- 1 or more float switches (back up for ATO)
- lunar simulator module
- lunar simulator LEDs 2 bulb chain
- Extra EB8

I also need to figure out what I need to hook it up to my wireless internet. The internet line comes in from upstairs and tank is downstairs.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
SkyShark;353869 said:
I have a similar one to that. Before you mount it, hook it up to your computer and update it
Will do, thanks. Just bought it at staples. They price matched with an online store so I got it for $35 plus tax. They were selling in store for $50

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I got my wireless extender set up, opened up the Apex box and I'm missing a couple of pieces. 1-3' aqua bus cable and an Ethernet cable. I have extra Ethernet cables lying around, can. I use that? The aqua us cables look like a FireWire cable. I have some of those lying around too. Can I use those?

Shaunv;353882 said:
So I got my wireless extender set up, opened up the Apex box and I'm missing a couple of pieces. 1-3' aqua bus cable and an Ethernet cable. I have extra Ethernet cables lying around, can. I use that? The aqua us cables look like a FireWire cable. I have some of those lying around too. Can I use those?
Yes, you can use the ethernet cable. I don't believe you can use a firewire cable. My understanding is they have to be aquabus cables.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok thanks.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Apex is now up and running though I still have a lot to learn so I can program the thing. Also changed the t5 bulbs from geisseman actinic and actinic+ to ATI coral plus and switched the Kessil to all blue. Kessil a now on for 12 hours, t5 on for 6 but will work up to 10. Letting the corals acclimate to the new bulbs. On another note, Jeremiah stopped by today with a really nice stand for me to hide my top off bucket. I still need to paint it to match my stand but it looks great and certainly way better than a bucket. Haha.

[attachment=69213:name]

[attachment=69214:name]

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks Shaun! It was a fun little project and glad to do it. Thanks again for all the corals, I owe you one.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got some new equipment for this tank. Some of which I am still waiting to arrive. Have the Apex Full hooked up. Just picked up the Apex DOS, DDR, AFS from Zombie. I got these all cleaned and will be hooking up soon. I have a second 2 bulb T5 from aqua traders coming. I will be running 2 ATI Coral +, 1 ATI Blue +, and 1 Geisseman Aquablue. Still have the Kessil 350 but some day down the road I will take out the 350 and put in 2 160's for better spread. I have ordered a second mp10qwd from Aquamart. The tank has been running a BRS carbon reactor for a couple months now too. Some day I would like to add the Apex Lunar Module as well. Tank is coming along nicely.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Also considering setting up a frag tank soon. I have a 10 gallon tank just collecting dust. I don't know what I am going to do yet. I would like to plumb it into my display tank for stability purposes but, not sure how I would do that yet. If I don't go that route, I would need to figure out filtration. Either a HOB filter or canister filter. For lighting, I would probably do a T5 or find a used Kessil like a 150 or something just to keep it simple. I need to get some frags out my display. Lol

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Shaunv;358333 said:
Also considering setting up a frag tank soon. I have a 10 gallon tank just collecting dust. I don't know what I am going to do yet. I would like to plumb it into my display tank for stability purposes but, not sure how I would do that yet. If I don't go that route, I would need to figure out filtration. Either a HOB filter or canister filter. For lighting, I would probably do a T5 or find a used Kessil like a 150 or something just to keep it simple. I need to get some frags out my display. Lol
A 10 might be too small depending on how you wanted to have it plumbed, the glass doesn't support drilling very well from my experience. You've got the room for a second 40B to the left of your current tank. Wouldn't take too much to plumb a second pump to it and then you'd for sue have more stability, room for frags, and it'd look pretty slick too if you filled it with display macros.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yah, don't think I will go the route of tying it into my system. I know there are pros and cons to doing it. I think I will just get a hang on back filter and protein skimmer and call it good. It would be for zoas mostly. May throw in some easier sps too. Just trying keep it cheap and use what I have. We'll see

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
FinsUp!;360565 said:
Looks really good!! The 40's are such a great size tank for showcasing corals.
Thanks Cindy! Yeah, I love the dimensions of this tank. It is great to showcase corals. My problem is, I filled it with so many corals that aren't all show pieces. Lol. It is almost time to start pulling out some corals that I no longer want in there. For example the basic corals like Pirple Digitata, Orange Cap, pocilopora, birds nest, etc. I need to make room for some show pieces!