New and need help

Goodmorning I am new to saltwater and having some issues with my tank. Im looking for somebody who would be willing to help teach me at least the basics at my house and help me out. I have a 155 gallon tank and everytime I buy coral it dies on me, uhg!

Thanks so much

Dan

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome man that's the ****z when stuff dies where are located? as there tons of reefers here on the front range that could give a helping hand!

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Have u tested your parameters? Or had tour water tested by a lbs? How long have u had the tank?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
How long has your tank been set up? What kind of lights? What kind of coral have you bought in the past?

Have you tested your water and if so when was the last time and what were the reading?

Where do you live?

I have 155 gallon with 2 36" corallife T-5 lights on top with a large refrigerium on the bottom. I have had it up and running now for just about a year. I had some good coral growth first on but had a heater go out while on vacation which the tank temp dropped to just above 60 degrees and since then cant get anything to stay alive. I have tested the water as well as others and they say it looks great. This has been going on for about 5 months now. I am going to replace my T5s today. I lost toadstools and cant even keep a pulsing zenia alive.

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
not an expert but 2t5s seems a little shy of enough light. and maybe some else could verify but wont the bio filter die off if temp drops that low as well??

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
tlsrcs;143657 said:
Jeeze boogie
I read both his post like 10 times each and do not see the "Arvada". Am I blind? lol

[attachment=60926:name]I should clarify I have 4 T5 white lights along with 2 blue for night lights. Should I replace the blue lights when I change the white lights?

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
no not blind lol i found it in his blog entry.....and as far as lighting i definitaly think it could be at least a piece to the puzzle of your problem.

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
lol i didnt see the arvada either, i would agree to a point on the lighting but i would say there is a diffrent issue if pulsing xiena wont survive. if your fish are doing fine i would piont to nitrates, bbut you have say they have tested tested the water so idk.

I will be buying new bulbls today thats for sure. and guess will try and find another piece of xenia or something that is rated as the easy level of care and see what happens and hope it is just my lighting. Just so much to learn and will keep reading and doing what I can.

Thanks, Dan

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think if any of us go over there the first thing we are going to do is test the water. So you might want to retest and post your readings, also do a salinity test of your tank water. Make sure you do a pH test and of course all the others. If you don't have all the test kits you can take some water to either elite or keys and they will help you out. Or aqua medic will test your water, but they will do a crazy in depth test and I think it cost a grip. Your light could be an issue, but you should be able to keep zoas and plays.

Xenia can ship poorly and doesn't always take, depending on the type and where it cam from. Do you have any corals in the tank as we speak and if so what kind?