New Build Review/Questions

J-don

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hello MASC,

I recently came home to find my 29g tank had sprung a leak. After much rushing around to save the livestock and rock in a rubbermaid tub with some heat and circulation, this has become an opportunity to finally do the system upgrade I've been wanting to do. It's going to be my first system with a proper sump/refuge. Alot of the gear is already purchased, but if anyone knows anything to look out for or creative hacks I'd love to hear it.

The Hardware so far:
  • 55g display tank
  • 20L converted to 3 chamber sump, self assembled
  • eShopps pf-1000 HoB overflow (got the smallest size dual so I can plumb it with the herbie method)
  • Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light, 48 to 60-Inch
  • SeaClone 100 skimmer (on the list to replace)
  • Lifegard Aquatics Quiet One Pro Pumps 2200
Future improvements (suggestions welcome):
  • Reef Octopus Classic SSS 110
  • Additional Lighting
  • ATO system (last thing I think I am going to have room for below the stand)
Finally, the questions:
  • For the drains and returns, is it ok to use standard schedule 40 for the straights and union to flex pvc for the bends, or will that lose flow over sticking with one or the other?
  • Drains in the overflow are 1' PVC. I think the return pump comes with a converter to 3/4' PVC. For anyone using the pump, is the 3/4 already overkill or should I consider up sizing to a 1' return as well?
  • Alot of the return plumbing into non-drilled tanks I have seen simply dumps the water out of the pipe straight down. I'm a little worried about this constantly kicking up the substrate or just leaving the bottom of the tank bare under the return. Is this a baseless concern?

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
J-don;n649312 [* said:
Alot of the return plumbing into non-drilled tanks I have seen simply dumps the water out of the pipe straight down. I'm a little worried about this constantly kicking up the substrate or just leaving the bottom of the tank bare under the return. Is this a baseless concern?
My returns come over the top of the tank and 1 dumps straight down, and 1 has a 90 degree elbow on it. The straight down one always blows sand around, and I've given up on trying to constantly move sand back. The 90 degree side does not have this problem. I run a gyre pump on one side of my tank (the 90 degree elbow side) and I wanted to keep the water flowing in the same plane. I don't know if it makes a difference or not...but to your question I can say that the straight return does move sand around.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would consider doing loc line. You can keep one of the outputs up near the water line so in a power outage it will break the siphon before too much water back siphons into your sump.
https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/3...et-loc-line/?gclid=COCy6p3CzswCFQ6maQod7ZEBKA

Have you thought about drilling the tank instead of using the HOB overflow? I would also consider upgrading the skimmer now, maybe even jumping up to the reef octopus 150. You could build your sump around the skimmer with ample space for maintenance and with the optimal water level for the skimmer to run in.
I think you are fine with 3/4 return line. I believe increasing to 1 inch would create more head pressure for the pump with more water in the pipe to push.
I would also try to incorporate the ato if at all possible. Now you have the opportunity to work that into your sump design rather than trying to add it later. The ato will make your life much easier especially when you go out of town.
I apologize in advance for making these suggestions without regard for your personal preferences, let alone budget. It's much easier to work some upgrades in now than too try to add them as an after thought.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I didn't see the HOB overflow, I am also not a fan. I would drill it. If your siphon breaks in the U tube while your return pump is still pumping away you are going to have an overflow until your sump runs dry and possibly burns out your return pump. I did the Bean Animal overflow, requires 3 holes to be drilled. It is very quiet, and has built in redundancy to prevent floods. If interested I can help you drill it, I'm in Loveland. You would just need to make sure the panel to be drilled is not tempered glass.