New Chinese Vortech MP-40 I give you the new Jebo Wp-40

andyrm66;235697 said:
Atlanta reef club did it, $35 a pump and then shipping. Went direct through mfg. Looks like it ended up at $55 per pump plus $10 S&H per. So $65 per pump. Granted that's a bit more volume that what we could gather here. Still less than fish street.
After a month of reading about these, I actually just tailgated on that group buy. We'll see how that goes. The guy did an awful lot of work and had to endure endless whining and some cancellations as the price went up, proving that no good deed goes unpunished.

...still a good deal though, if I don't electrocute anything or burn the house down :) And I can but 5 of them for the cost of one used MP40. If this works out there might be a used MP40 and MP20 up for sale soon.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I have been reading some more today about how to control these pumps.

Since it is a DC motor, it can be done by just supplying less voltage. However, in the controller there is a control cable that has a 0-5vDC supply to it, which varies the speed of the pump. Hooking in and manipulating this control cable seems the best way to control these pumps.

RA has a Jebao control cable that completely bypasses the controller that comes with the pump. I am trying to figure out how they are doing this. From my understanding you would still need to supply the pump with 24vDC to turn it on. The cable suposedly works with the Apex as well. I don't think any of the cables have shipped yet, and of course Roberto (RA) is not putting up many details on how it works exactly. I am wondering if the cable hooks into the 0-10vDC varible outputs of the controllers and also has a plug that goes into the 24vDC power supply that comes with the pump still?

Any able to find out more info on how the RA control cable works? I think this is the best way. If that is how he is doing it, It would cost about $5 in parts to DIY that control cable.

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
that0neguy1126;237454 said:
So I have been reading some more today about how to control these pumps.

Since it is a DC motor, it can be done by just supplying less voltage. However, in the controller there is a control cable that has a 0-5vDC supply to it, which varies the speed of the pump. Hooking in and manipulating this control cable seems the best way to control these pumps.

RA has a Jebao control cable that completely bypasses the controller that comes with the pump. I am trying to figure out how they are doing this. From my understanding you would still need to supply the pump with 24vDC to turn it on. The cable suposedly works with the Apex as well. I don't think any of the cables have shipped yet, and of course Roberto (RA) is not putting up many details on how it works exactly. I am wondering if the cable hooks into the 0-10vDC varible outputs of the controllers and also has a plug that goes into the 24vDC power supply that comes with the pump still?

Any able to find out more info on how the RA control cable works? I think this is the best way. If that is how he is doing it, It would cost about $5 in parts to DIY that control cable.
The cable works with both PWM and 0-10v signal. The cable seems to have a cap, a resistor, low pass and voltage divider.

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
The values used on the jebao controller was 1k and 2.2uF
I felt this wasn't good enough values. I was getting a lot of ripple when I scoped.
So, my custom harness has 10k and 10uF. I also used another 10k as voltage divider.
So, the 0-10V would be cut down in half and give a 0-5V to the pump.
This way, we can use 0 to 100% on the dimming channels.
Well, technically the pump has a cut off. I didn't measure it, but it is about 15% to 20%, so the usable range is 15 to 100%.

Roberto

Justin144

Butterfly Fish
I have no brains when it comes to electricity and wires. Do you guys know any way for me to dim this pump? I feel like its going to be way to much flow in my tank...(70gallon) 4ft
what do you think?

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
that0neguy1126;237483 said:
Right, but he doesnt explain how he is getting 24vDC to the pump. Just what he is doing with the control portion of it.
Still using the stock controller, special cable plugged into it, from what I gather there is a jack on the factory controller.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
andyrm66;237544 said:
Still using the stock controller, special cable plugged into it, from what I gather there is a jack on the factory controller.
From what I read, he said you could toss the stock controller.

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
Intresting, though that's what I plan on doing. Toss stock, buy 24vdc PWM LED driver that has 0-10v input hook it to the Apex and be done. $39.99 on ebay. Made in Miami.

Mine is finally coming tomorrow my universal laptop charger with variable dc outputs got here like a week ago from china and I ordered them on the same day which was kind of annoying but it's finally coming and I can't wait to use it on my 75 mixed reef.