1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

New House...New Build!

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by ShroomLagoon, Oct 15, 2018.

?

Sump Builder

1. Stock brand -non custom.

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. LifeReef

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Local suggestion - please post in thread

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. ShroomLagoon

ShroomLagoon Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Hello Everyone-

Been in the area about a year now, been laying low with a shroom lagoon pico. About to close on my first house, so a tank build has to be in the works. Figured I start the thread in the design phase, might be a fun way to get to know everyone.

Plan is a split system in my office and the main room. Planning on the office having most of the plumbing, the main room would house most electrical. Would be a 3 tank set-up, mixing and matching pieces from old builds or designs. Just want a set-up to can enjoy, will be stacked with plenty of toys to assist with low maintenance. Never was good with water changes so will be going Triton method this go round.

Office - IM Nuvo Black (25g) & PicO Manta Ray (10g)

Nuvo will get drilled, need to decide on an overflow. Display will move from PicO, mushroom tank currently, looking at adding maybe some zoas & acans.
    • Lighting - XR30 w/diffuser (gen 2)
    • Flow- MP10
    • Filtration- Lifereef with Reef Savvy
    PicO will be converted to an isolated QT tank, just a frag rack as display.
    • Lighting - XR15 (gen 3)
    • Flow- MP10
    • Filtration- MarinePure spheres & Mame Skimmer

Main - Reef Savvy

Will be a new tank, currently thinking 48" by something. Wanting to do a full mixed reef, probably something between 125 - 175g.
    • Lighting - Three XR15 (gen 3)
    • Flow- Maxspect XF230 & MP10
    • Filtration- Lifereef with Nuvo

Current plan is a custom project with Lifereef for the Savvy and Nuvo. I'll save that for another post.

Any suggestions for local frame makers and cabinet work is appreciated.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Archit likes this.
  2. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

@High Plains Reefer does great steel stands if you want to go that way. Then you can skin it however you want

NickP and ShroomLagoon like this.
  3. Archit

Archit Copepod Platinum Sponsor M.A.S.C Club Member

ShroomLagoon likes this.
  4. halmus

halmus Prawn Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Secretary

This will be a fun project to watch.

Did you pick the house based on future aquarium plans (like me) or more adult considerations (like my wife)?

Pictures and or drawings of the layout will help us give you ideas on how to spend more money building out the system. :)

5. neil82

neil82 Cuttle Fish M.A.S.C Club Member

Welcome! System plans sound great. Can't wait to see this come together.

ShroomLagoon likes this.
  6. SkyShark

SkyShark Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Awesome! Following along. Be sure to check out @halmus ‘s build thread for some drool worthy inspiration.

7. mebeknob

mebeknob Copepod

Look forward to seein this.
    I really like deep tanks. Not tall.... but deep as in front to back. Didn’t realise this till I saw an Elos 160xl in person. It’s 30” front to back.... really nice.

Have you get in the 1 year wait list for Reef Savvy yet?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. ShroomLagoon

ShroomLagoon Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

I had a system in mind when purchasing, this system will be totally different from what I first thought. I'll get the sketches up sometime, I'll get into drawings when things settle down.

That is quite an awesome project! Were some room improvements already plan, so double the inspiration.

I'm a big fan of shallows so deep is a serious consideration, 28" was tossed out at one point. Not on the waitlist yet, but that year will fly by for me and my pocket book. Shallow also presents difficulty with a mixed reef, hence the plans for 3 XR15's so I can set-up 3 zones high, medium, & low light.