Moved recently, so my fish got a upgrade! 75gal

https://imgur.com/a/HWyik

The above link is my imgur gallery of the build. I still need to order new LED lights and make a ATO reservoir for the float valve I installed in the sump.

Let me know what you think! Any advice is appreciated! I could use a good recommendation on some new lighting for the tank. Something that would work with my glass top since I have some jumpers. Would like to start adding some SPS too.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I’d do a screen top rather than the glass. Lighting is a loaded question. For a tank that size i’d go t5 for great sps results and maybe an led strip for some color pop.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Looks great, but ya, need more rock for sure. If you add rock later make sure its cycled and ready to go or you will have issues.
Ya light question kind of a can of worms, but really it comes down to what you want and how much you want to spend.
Ive done a retro fit t5 on my 75g for years and grown sps pretty good with them. You can mix and match different colors to get the look you want, and fixture, especially retro fit kits, are very reasonably priced, but need to replace bulbs every 8-12 months.
LEDs are great, but the good ones are super expensive, but no bulbs to replace, and tend to last longer and use a little bit less electricity. Can have shadowing issues and the disco effect can be a bit much for many people.
MH are still the #1 for growing SPS. They have the best spectrum and not much can compete with their shear par output, but they run hot and they use a ton of energy.
To complicate this further you can mix and match different kinds of lights to fine tune to your exact liking, but I would start simple and add in as you see the need. Your tank is likely about 6month to a year away from being able to sustain SPS well, so you have a little time to read up and decide how you want to do it.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I’d do a screen top rather than the glass. Lighting is a loaded question. For a tank that size i’d go t5 for great sps results and maybe an led strip for some color pop.
Always listen to the Doc!!!

I agree that the screen would be the better way to go.

Here is a cheap and easy screen and clips to make that happen.

Screen Top:
View attachment 11198 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QFRMRS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_RguSAb4JE37XD

Cover Clips:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F3VJH86/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_tiuSAb96H7VDB

Sweet, thanks for the screen top suggestion. Looks like I'll be adding that to the list. As for lighting, cost really isn't a issue. I'm looking at some high end LED fixtures. AP700 caught my eye, but it has mixed reviews. I just read about their unmatched shimmer and led blending to reduce shadows. The Razor X R5 300W looks like It would be a nice fit on my tank reducing the need for multiple fixtures.

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sweet, thanks for the screen top suggestion. Looks like I'll be adding that to the list. As for lighting, cost really isn't a issue. I'm looking at some high end LED fixtures. AP700 caught my eye, but it has mixed reviews. I just read about their unmatched shimmer and led blending to reduce shadows. The Razor X R5 300W looks like It would be a nice fit on my tank reducing the need for multiple fixtures.
I have a pair of ap700’s. They put out a good amount of par and good spectrum blending. Overall I’d say the quality of light the produce is great but their software is their biggest problem. Their newest firmware update and app update solved almost all the issues people were complaining about but it’s still not perfect.

I agree with the others also about getting rid of that glass lid. Your tank needs to breathe and cleaning that top will be an everlasting project.